Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: slotted, Phillips or square drive??

Cool slotted, Phillips or square drive??

I realize that this is a very basic question and some will definately prefer one (slotted, Phillips or square drive) over the other. As some of you know, I'm getting back into woodworking after being away from it for quite a while. I've noticed that many are using square drive screws. These are new to me.

Which type of screw do you like to use most of the time? What are the advantages of the type you use?
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Hi Don,

I really, really prefer square drive. I've been so spoiled by the lack of head stripping with square drive that I often mess up when I have to use phillips. Slotted outa be outlawed, hehe.

McFeely's is a really good source of square drive screws, and they're strong. They carry just about everything under the sun. You can buy an assortment, that comes with handy bins. I also use Spax occasionally, if I need to pick up screws at Orchard Supply. Also very strong.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/

Todd
    Last edited by Todd Solomon; 02-12-2007 at 12:16 PM.

Square drive screws. McFeelys. They are hard to strip.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Don, appearance wise I still prefer the Phillips head screw. If strength is the driving factor, I’ll go with the square drive screw. Can’t remember the last time that I used a slotted screw.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Slotted Phillips or square drive

Personally I like the square drive. There is less chance of slipping thus it drives easier. Followed by Phillips. Last the slotted type. In fact whenever I am repairing a slotted screw I try to replace it one of the above, including any adjacent screws.
    I leave the slotted screws only in those applications where the appearance may be compromised--as in some old pieces with a brass slotted screw. Come to think of it I have never seen brass square head screws.

I use some Phillips head screws but much prefer square drive. Much less chance of stripping the head. Once you try them I think you'll see the difference. In any event, it is always helpful to put a bit of wax on your screw threads before putting them in. I have an inexpensive toilet wax ring that I keep handy for that purpose.

Neither, I have found a star head fastner that is superior. GRK Fasteners are all I use now. These are premiun screws that leave prerfect results and never split. No need to pre drill and they leave no damage ever. They are expensive but well worth it.

Dan

I tend to use phillips most of the time. I like square drive because it tends to not strip out as often.... BUT....it seems I can never find my square headed bit when I need it most so I end up with phillips head.
    The Beach Bum Woodworker

About the *only* good thing about visiting Canada in wintertime is the abundance of square drive (Robertson) screws. Every hardware store has them.
    I can't imagine what it would be like driving in a 4 inch ceramic coated deck screw without a square drive. For brass screws that "show", I still like the looks of a slot or phillips screw. They do sell Robertson brass screws up here.

Square drive wherever possible. I go through a lot of them.

I prefer the square drive, but usually use the Phillips, or Square-X. Some don't like the appearance of the Square drive, but I've seen plastic colored plugs that pop right on to cover the whole screw head. Doesn't really hide them, but does change the appearance. Easy to get back off if you need to take the screw out. Just catch it with a knife edge. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I use a lot of phillips screws, but I also use a lot of square drive screws. I MUCH prefer the square drive screws and I get most all my square drive screws from McFeely's.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Robertson.

Whenever I buy something that comes with hardware I usually toss the included screws and put in Robertson instead.

My drawer-o-screws is 95-98% Robertson.

Occasionally I have to resort to a Phillips.

The only time I turn a slotted screw is when removing the trim piece for an electrical outlet. And each time I wonder why that industry is making me do such an irritating thing. Death to slotted screws!
    "It's Not About You."

Wow, thanks for the quick responses. I was planning on buying some screws through McFeely's and wanted to make sure that square drive was the way to go.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rufener
    I use some Phillips head screws but much prefer square drive. Much less chance of stripping the head. Once you try them I think you'll see the difference. In any event, it is always helpful to put a bit of wax on your screw threads before putting them in. I have an inexpensive toilet wax ring that I keep handy for that purpose.
    Bob,
    I use Dawn dish soap to lube screws. I keep a small bottle handy. I use canning wax on my hand saw blades. I never thought of a bowl ring, have to give that a try. Thanks for the idea.
    I started using the square drive screws after I bought my Kreg 3 kit. I still use a lot of Phillips head drywall screws, they are hardened and few strip out if I use the correct size driver and pre-drill.
    David B
    Last edited by David G Baker; 02-12-2007 at 12:51 PM.