Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6" clear flex duct--Is this a good deal?

1. 6" clear flex duct--Is this a good deal?

Seems like a good deal. I have Amazon Prime, so shipping is freebie. What is everyone paying for this expensive stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/JW1036-6-Inch-...2?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Amazon was the best price that I could find for 6" flex pipe. I don't think you can beat the price. Unfortunately finding fittings to convert from my 6" S & D pvc to the flex wasn't as easy.

Tim

3. I had a chunk that came with my ClearVue that fit right into a S&D coupling, but I guess that means it wont attach to a S&D pipe. How did you join the two?

6" flex hose price

Jameel
    The Amazon price seems to be a good deal. I purchased my 6" flex from Oneida as part of our cyclone installation and the price was 29.95 per 5' section. Probably not a very good deal, but it was convenient at the time and the quality was excellent. It was reinforced with copper wire and the wall rigidity met the needs of our 5hp system. Jet sells different grades of material. Just make sure that the advertised hose is made of high grade/rigid material that will hold up to your needs.
    Regards, Rick Cabot

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    Jameel, To hook the flex hose to the S&D you can heat up the end of the S&D pipe with a torch then shrink it with a clamp. Place the clamp on it and as you heat the pipe tighten the clamp until the hose slides over it.

Jameel, I just purchased a 10' length of 6" hose from Lee Valley for $45, so Amazon's price is a little better. Your free shipping is probably the deal clincher. Good luck!
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

7. Thats a good idea about heating the pvc. I'll try that. Amazon didnt say the grade of hose, I'll just have to take my chances I guess...

I've got the CV1400. I was originally going to buy R-4 flex hose but the supplier could not get stock so I went with Wynn, which after shipping was $149 for 20'x6". I use 2729 ducting but the Wynn would not fit in or over the the ducting. I tried all the standard methods: heating, slashing, twisting and voodoo. None worked but it does fit easily into any standard fitting, i.e., wyes, 22s, 45s, etc.

My understanding about R-4 is it will fit into (or over) 2729 ducting.

If possible, try to get a hose sample or a recommendation from someone who has the same ductiing as you.

I got my clear flex from Woodworkers Supply. Dave Laird from our forum works there. It was a tight fit over the S&D 6" and 4", had to use a hair dryer to heat it up...still a tight fit. I had to replace the flex on the bottom of my CV, could not get it to expand enough to go over the pipe. It seems like nice heavy hose, and I think it comes from Wynn Environmental, I just coudn't get it to go over the pipe. I'm very happy with the WS hose. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Unless I missed something, this item is not eligible for amazon prime.

Shows up prime for me it is out of stock so that may be the issue

heating PVC

I wonder how much you can heat pvc before you produce toxic fumes?

"heating, slashing, twisting and voodoo. None worked but it does fit easily into any standard fitting, i.e., wyes, 22s, 45s, etc."

Hmm, I've got the Wynn and the 2729 also, still unassembled.

Did you try heating the flex and twisting it in the direction that would unwind the embedded wire?

How do you seal it to the I.D. of the fittings?

I got the 6" flex from Wynn and used 2729 for ducting. If you cut a length of snaplock ducting from one of the big box stores, it fits snugly inside the 2729 and inside the flex as well. I left about three inches of snaplock sticking out of the 2729. Drill two holes through the 2729 and snaplock insert and use short screws to hold it in place. I used diagonal cut pliers to snip off the parts of the screw that protruded into the 2729 to reduce snag potential. Then, slide the flex over the snaplock and hold that in place with a hose clamp. Wynn's hose clamps are pretty nice as they are designed to accomodate the wire coil inside the flex for a snug fit. I hope this helps. So far it has worked well for me.

You can take a little bit of sheet metal, make a cylinder out of it, slip it in the end of the PVC duct, let it expand to size and then tape it secure with foil tape. Your hose should slip over it relatively easily.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...