Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Arkansas woodworkers

For Arkansas woodworkers

Since late last year myself and Dennis have been talking about starting up an Arkansas woodworkers club/guild/group/whatcha-may-callit, but then we got into the holiday season and couldn't get back to it till now.

I have no experience with how this thing might work. Our feeling is that there are a lot of hobbyist, semi-pro and pro WWers in Arkansas and it would be of mutual benefit to have a common platform to exchange ideas, tools, tips and tricks, and to just plain meet and greet.

The URL for the above mentioned group/mailing list is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ark-woodworkers/
    if you have a yahoo email you can join the group by clicking the "Join this group" icon on the top right corner. If not I can add you if you email me your real name and email address at zrnaqvi@yahoo.com. I wanted to ask anyone interested to join the group and let's start discussing how to shape this. Some of the members here at SMC who have similar organizations in their geographic regions have volunteered to help. I am sure we will be asking them for advice frequently.

I know that I will get very busy starting summer (several work related and personal things coming up) so I wanted to get this kick started and rolling before summer.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Zahid,
    I sent you an email to add me to the list.
    Thanks,
    Rick
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

Thanks guys. I think this is a wonderful idea to share and educate. I have applied for membership

Randy

What about adding Memphis into this. After all we are just next door and it would increase the pool of people

Greg

I've emailed you as well. Now, if only we all lived next door to each other... you could teach me something and let me borrow your tools!

L

Yeah......and you folks could understand Dennis Peacock's accent too!

I suppose Idaho is too far away to be considered for admission....

Location discrimination!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hairston
    What about adding Memphis into this. After all we are just next door and it would increase the pool of people
    Greg, thanks for your interest. The initial intent is to get enough people together to make it worthwhile, after that it will be up to the rest of the folks to decide how they want to shape it. In my personal opinion it should be open to anyone who is within driving/flying range. Terry used to do an annual BBQ in NW Arkansas and it was great, I think one year someone flew in from California to participate. But it is a big financial undertaking for one person to arrange such things on a regular basis, but collectively we can do these more often.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Zahid,
    Have you had a chance to work with that walnut yet?

Rick
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick de Roque
    Zahid,
    Have you had a chance to work with that walnut yet?
    I cut some this weekend, to remove knots and splits, but haven't done anything beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Yeah......and you folks could understand Dennis Peacock's accent too!

I suppose Idaho is too far away to be considered for admission....

Location discrimination!
    LOL!!!!! Com'on down Ken. We'd luv to haf ya 'round these parts. Yee ain't gotta have no invite....just holler and let'us know you is comin'.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Zahid - I don't know if you are aware but there is a woodworking club that meets in North Little Rock at the community center near the I-40 and I-30 interchange. There are a number of members of the Central Arkansas Woodturners that are members of that club and it seems fairly active. I attended a workshop they sponsered last year with Bob Flexner on finishing.
    Steve

Hey!! I'm close. I'm a flatfooter

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hairston
    Greg, if you can email me your name and email address I will add you to the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Hey!! I'm close. I'm a flatfooter
    Steve if you can email me you preferred email address I will add you.

Will do.....