Thread: reconditioning some older hand planes

reconditioning some older hand planes

I've recently gotten some older hand planes. A stanely #8, a long wooden bodied one and a nice long (10 inches or so? perhaps) iron plane made in germany. I'm at work, so sorry i dontl have specifics on my right now.

For the most part they are in great shape, but have not been used for several years and were stored in a garage, so semi protected. There is some light rust here and there, and some pitting. One of the wooden handles is cracked, but for the most part everyhting looks like it is structurally sound, but just worn and exposed mto the elements.

So anyway, i don't have a lot of experience with nice planes, and want to try to being these back to as new condition as i can, and be sure not to ruin anything. What techinques would you use to remove the rust and pitting, and after protect the metal from further damage. I am hoping that everyhting is flat and square already, but any advice for setup wold be great too.

Thanks,
    Dave .

2. Hi Dave,

if you want to look at some experiences of other, here is a link to the page Restorin Fine Tools on www.wkFineToolc.
    http://www.wkfinetools.com/tRestore/index.asp

There is a separate section on restoring planes and the articles were written by real users of used tools.

Hope this helps,
    Wiktor

fantastic resources guys,k thanks very much!

I can't wait to get started on these.

Dave.