Thread: mm FS30 Smart jointer/planer

mm FS30 Smart jointer/planer

What do you guys think of the FS30 Smart J/P?

I like my FS 35 smart just fine.

I think I'd like to have one of those in my shop!!

With the deal MM is offering, I am a little tempted.

If that's the 12" model, it was just picked as editor's choice in FWW

Pete

Well. I've got a few months before it's decision time on J/P's, but I A?M looking closely at this machine vs a separate 12" j and 15" p

Pro's for me:
    Quality
    MM's vaulted customer Service,
    tersa knife head
    horizontal mortiser table option

Con's:
    length of jointer tables (I've plenty of room and longer tables would be desirable)
    Changeover, quick, but still needed.
    Planer height. Got some personal spine issues so having things at the right height is a biggie for me. With separates, both could be adjusted according to needs.

I'll be following this thread closely.

As to the combo table length issue... what is the "golden rule" again for jointer tables?

Was it 2 times the total bed length can be jointed without much worry about out of flatness issues?

I've really got my eye on the Grizzly combo with spiral head coming out in April.

Thanks,
    /Kevin

Hi Mandell,

I think it's a fine machine. I thought the FWW article was fair and agree with their rankings. I think the MM FS30 is the best machine of those tested, giving it the slight edge over the Hammer 12" J/P. The Hammer could be had over Christmas for $3K, and they may extend that same offer now. I think the MM's Tersa head, longer tables, and less switchover time make it a little nicer than the Hammer. But the Hammer is also quite a bit less expensive. A friend of mine has the 12" Hammer. He had some initial quality issues. Felder sent out a service tech at no charge, and fixed it (a set screw was not tightened properly at the factory, and caused it to rub when the cutterhead rotated). Now, it's great. He planed some bird's eye maple and the surface finish was perfect and tearout-free. The Felder cutterhead comes on the Hammer. It's not quite as simple to shift or change knives as the MM's Tersa, but it automatically registers the knives to the correct height. Like FWW said, the Hammer is the best value and the MM is the best overall, at that price-point. But both are nice machines.

Todd

Guys, I just rec'd my FS-30. Still working on setting it up. Got what i think is a great price, including shipping. Now to get the kerosene out and get to work on cleaning it up...

Fantastic!

I had one for 5 years until I bought a larger MM combo machine that does dishes and presses pants etc. The FS 30 is a brilliant machine that punches way above its weight. I had the slot mortiser too, loved it.

I jointed 10' stock regularly and 12' not as often. Are the tables long enough? Plenty.

If you think that the Hammer holds a candle to the FS take a close look at the sheet metal cabinets. No way. Then look at the castings!

You won't regret this machine.

Any suggestions for a mobile base for the FS30?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Weaver View Post
    Any suggestions for a mobile base for the FS30?
    My suggestion would be based on how often you need to move it! With very little work you could use a Johnson bar set up as MM uses on the CU 410. You would need to do a wee bit of cutting on the base of your machine to add the slick retracting wheel set up but it wouldn't be much more than a couple hours work. Regardless I would want a set up that allowed the machine to be planted on all fours, on the floor whenever in use - reduced vibration once shimmed realative to the floor surface.

Tom

I have an HTC mobile base on my FS30.
    It works, but you will get tired of horsing that machine around.
    I enjoyed my FS30 so much, that I expanded my basement shop
    in order to have a permanenet place for it that didn't require movement with each use.

Good luck.
    John

The fs 30 is essentially the same machine that's part of my combo. I really like the Tersa system (basically idiot proof blade changing in just a few minutes), the jointer has lots of power (4.8hp) and runs perfect. Overall, a pleasure to use and I would recommend it.

Mike

14. Hi
    I am new to Sawmill and will start taking my woodworking a little more seriously in the next few years. I am also looking for a 12" jointer / planer. I found a lot of info on the Hammer A331 on the creek and was wondering about this machine. I called the DE office of Hammer and they told me the machine has been redesigned. A different jointer fence, tables that open together ......... and a few other things. How does the Hammer compare to the Minimax and do we have any members with the "new design" Hammer in the shop. Seems like they are both offering the same special at the moment.

Thanks

JP