Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ron Smith: I need antler help

Ron Smith: I need antler help

Ron or any other turners who have done stuff from antler, I need some pointers.

I recently was able to obtain some antler and would like to get some information.

So my questions are, how do I cut, drill, turn etc. I think remember reading about boiling or something...is that necessary? Any pointers, reccomendations on articles, or reading material would be great.

Thanks

Noah
    Last edited by Noah Alkinburgh; 12-01-2003 at 4:24 PM.
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Alkinburgh
    Ron or any other turners who have done stuff from antler, I need some pointers ... It wasn't a very old buck so the rack is pretty small, but I was thinking I might be able to get a pen or posible 1.5 pens out of it. So my questions are, how do I cut, drill, turn etc. I think remember reading about boiling or something...is that necessary? Any pointers, reccomendations on articles, or reading material would be great.

Thanks

Noah
    Noah,

You don't have to do anything special with antler to turn it. Once the velvet is off, the inner core dries up and quits supplying blood through the vessels. This leaves the entire antler without fluids. Granted on a fresh antler, the inner marrow may be a little spongy, but this is what you usually drill through anyway and a lot of it is removed. The boiling you refer to is done with cow horn to remove the inner core. The inner core on antler can't be removed and dries out so the antler can be shed yearly.

Take your brass tube and lay it on the horn, mark a straight piece the correct length and cut it on your bandsaw. Treat it just as you would any wood blank. Be careful as you drill to make sure you have it lined up properly, so the drill bit won't come out the side, especially if you're having to work with a small diameter piece.

Cutting to get a decent piece and drilling are the difficult part. Then you glue in your tubes and turn, taking nice small, smooth cuts. It turns like a fine grained wood. If you want, you can leave some of the outer texture to make the pen look "authentic" if using a small piece. Have fun with it, and by the way, I also carry a hacksaw in the truck, just in case I find some along the highway. I've found two sets so far this year. Here is a photo of three pens I turned this morning and some antlers I acquired over the weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks, Ron

Ron,

Fantastic!

I don't have a bandsaw so I will be cutting by hand. I will square up on the disc sander. Thanks for the info and I am glad to know I am not the only crazy person out there handling road kill

Noah
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

P.A. Game Laws

Noah,

You better check with the PA game commision. I think having fresh deer parts without a deer tag in PA could set you up with a hefty fine. It's worth a call.

Quick question - can antler be bent, perhaps being softened first by boiling or steaming? Todd.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Apple - Central IN
    Noah,

You better check with the PA game commision. I think having fresh deer parts without a deer tag in PA could set you up with a hefty fine. It's worth a call.
    Good thought! I will make sure I don't carry them around with me too

Seriously I never considered that I will have to look into it...having a fine could really raise the cost of a pen Might be worth buying a hunting liscense.

Noah
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comrad Alkinburgh

Hi Noah,

Here in the fine Comunism of Pennsylvania you better ask about the legality of selling the pens made from wild animal parts. It has been a long time since I read the laws but there used to be restrictions on selling animal parts. The game commission needs something to justify there existance.

DO NOT tell them you have picked up antlers from road kill already. Call and ask them on a purely hypothetical basis.

If they say it is alright and you start making these pens it would be a good idea the call and ask them if the laws have changed at least once a year.

You do not want problems with the game comission. They can take years to go away.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Charles,

Thanks for the heads up. Boy this is unbelievable! I never thought of anything like this. Anyway, I looked up the game code and here it the rules: Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent the purchase ...or the sale or purchase of any inedible part thereof, from game or wildlife lawfully killed, if such parts are disposed of by the original owner within 90 days after the close of the season in which the game or wildlife was taken. Prior to selling parts of game or wildlife under the provisions of this subsection, all edible parts shall be removed

So, I am iffy at best. Since these ones are for personal use I think I am all good, but will be more careful in the future. Thanks so much for looking out for me.

Noah

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley
    Hi Noah,

Here in the fine Comunism of Pennsylvania you better ask about the legality of selling the pens made from wild animal parts. It has been a long time since I read the laws but there used to be restrictions on selling animal parts. The game commission needs something to justify there existance.

DO NOT tell them you have picked up antlers from road kill already. Call and ask them on a purely hypothetical basis.

If they say it is alright and you start making these pens it would be a good idea the call and ask them if the laws have changed at least once a year.

You do not want problems with the game comission. They can take years to go away.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Talking What Ron said plus..

after roughing the antler to size, you'll likely have to saturate it with CA glue due porosity (sp?) of the marrow. Also, if I were you I would seriously consider purchasing a barrel trimmer for this. I've made many pens (100?) out of moose, elk, deer (mule, white tail, and red) antler and the hardest part is squaring the piece to the barrel on the end.

Oh yeah, prepare for an odor... kind of like the burning smell of enamel from the dentist office
    Peter Lyon

Noah

I buy antlers from a local locker for $5.00 a pair. I will be contacting him again in January after all the hunting seasons close. Granted they are not big trophy sets, but big enough for pens and bobbles.

Terry

I don't think you'll get into any trouble with the possession of antlers without a tag. If you look at ebay, you'll find hundreds of antler carvings and pieces for sale every day. I don't imagine ebay would allow an illegal activity to go on for years on their site. I personally have dozens of antler sets, from years of hunting. None of them still have the original tag on them. In fact, none of my friend's mounts do either.

Most hunting regulations state that you can't be in possession of the meat without a tag. The antlers have to have a tag on them while at a taxidermist, but I've never seen any other regulation on them.

Still, it's worth checking into. Let us know what you find out.

Does anyone know where I can aquire some antler? THere are not to many deer running around Charleston SC. I want to make a pen for a friend who just started to date a guy who is a really big hunter.
    I think she would really love to give him one. I am always showing her the different pens I make.
    Sorry to ramble, thanks for your help in advance.
    Julie

Penn State

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Wright
    Does anyone know where I can aquire some antler? THere are not to many deer running around Charleston SC. I want to make a pen for a friend who just started to date a guy who is a really big hunter.
    I think she would really love to give him one. I am always showing her the different pens I make.
    Sorry to ramble, thanks for your help in advance.
    Julie

Julie,

If I recall correctly Penn State sells deer antler in small quantities. My last purhase was through a place in Oregon that I found on the web after searching for "antler". This place not only had very reasonable prices but had a large variety of species as well. I suggest just typing in antler on Google and see what turns up.

FWIW, there is little to no difference in antler between species.
    Peter Lyon

Julie,

There are tons of them on ebay.

Julie ...

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Wright
    Does anyone know where I can aquire some antler?
    Julie
    If nothing else, you might try E-Bay ... someone always has antler for sale there. You have to be a little selective because of some of the outrageous prices on certain items though. You also might look for Hunt Clubs or Shooting Ranges around your area. Calling or stopping by one of these may result in a hunter having an extra set lying around gathering dust. Good luck and be sure and post a pict when done!

Ron
    Thanks, Ron