Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the Mill *W/Pics*

New to the Mill *W/Pics*

I just wanted to introduce myself and this looked like the place to do it. My name is Jason Tuinstra and I live in St. John, In - about 40 minutes (on a good day) outside of Chicago, Il. I used to semi-regularly post on the Badger Pond. For whatever reason, once that shut down, I fell away from woodworking forums for the most part, though I do participate at woodcentral and post pic's from time to time.

Today is the first time I've seen this site, and when I saw it, it really looked like a community that I wanted to be a part of. So I'm very glad to be here. What a wonderful site!

I've been woodworking since 1997. I pastor of a medium sized church and am father to a large family (3 boys, 1 girl, and one due in Jan.). Did I mention I find woodworking very relaxing? Monday is my only real day to work in the shop, and even then it can be touch and go. But as a man who rarely sees the completion of much, I enjoy the satisfaction that working with wood gives.

Most of the furniture that I build for myself is in the Shaker-style. I am an advid reader of Shaker history and recently went to the Hancock Villiage. What a trip!

So I'm glad to be here and hope to make the most out of this community. Thanks for having me!

Jason

P.S. I've included some pictures to show off some of my work. My greatest work in progress is my beautiful family. The non-shaker piece is a 7 drawer chest made out of cherry that I finished last week for a friend. The clock is Shaker a reproduction made out of tiger maple.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jason Tuinstra; 12-03-2003 at 3:46 PM.

Welcome to the creek Jason

Glad you found us & you're right this is a great community.

Pull up a log & hang out.

Great pics of your projects - specially that first project Great looking bunch of kids you have there.

The WW'ing stuff is real nice also - especially the clock.
    Last edited by Tom Sweeney; 12-03-2003 at 12:27 PM.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Welcome Jason I'm sure you will find the Creek to your liking. Lots of great helpful folks here. You have a nice looking family that I am sure you are proud of. Looks like you also do some fine woodworking.
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

Welcome to SMC, Jason! As others have indicated, you're showing off 6 awesome looking projects! We welcome your skills and insights and, look forward to "seeing you" around real often. Enjoy your stay!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Welcome Jason!

It is great that you found us. The Creek is a great spot to be and definitely a wonderful community. Lots of great ideas and amazing talent. Glad you joined and by the looks of your projects you have lots to offer in the way of talent and inspiration.

Noah
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nice to meet ya Jason...
    That's one fine looking family. That little boy in the middle sure looks like he is fun to be around.
    The woodwork is excellant and looks like it came from more experience than a 1997 start.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Hi Jason

Jason -

Very glad you stumbled into the Creek. Pull up a log, sit a while and dry off. Friendly place, good community - just as you were used to.

Welcome,
    Ted

'Good to have your here, Jason. And for the record...I really, really like that clock! The Tiger Maple really did it justice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hey Jason,

I remember you from the Pond. You'll find quite a few Pond folks here and we're always glad to have another. Great looking kids and great looking chest and clock.

Bob

Hi Jason,

Nice to have you here. Both your work and your family are great looking. Can't imagine 5 children, 3 is more than enough for me. Dave.

Hi Jason! Welcome to the Creek, and as usual, very nice work. It is good to see your name again.

Bill

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. The more I look around, the more I'm impressed with the format and the people! It's good to see new faces and familiar Ponders (now Creekers (?)) once again.

First of all welcome to the creek. Having said that what a beautiful bunch of young prospective woodworkers.

Now, I don't know how many mondays it took, but I have to say that the "Right Reverend Jason" is quite the furniture maker. That chest of drawers is destined to become a real heirloom, not to mention the clock.

Jump on in, Jason!! I remember seeing your name here and there on the Pond. Glad you found this watery meeting place. Great lookin' family you have there, and it's good to know I have near-neighbors with a connection to the Big Guy Upstairs . (I'm 45 min NW of Indy--just SE of Lafayette.) Nice work on the clock and chest of drawers.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Welcome Jason! Very glad to have you as part of the community. Todd.