Thread: Lever up a gravity partner: SC DP assembly myself(small gloats within)

Lever up a gravity partner: SC DP assembly myself(small gloats within)

Let me see if I can clearly describe this.
    I bought the SC 17" DP from Berland's Tools this week (Joliet IL - 200 mile drive round trip but so worth it). I brought it home in my Jeep Grand Cherokee which fits in the hatch on edge (even with a carseat on the drivers passenger side). When I got it home I backed the Jeep up to the shop and slid it onto my mobile bench. I put the Jeep away in the other garage and closed up the doors to the shop and fired up the heat.
    I went out after dinner and started assembling it. I assembled the column to the base. The Drill Press head was still in the box on the bench.

I had to figure out how to get this crazy heavy DP head onto the column. I could not lift it myself and no buddies wanted to come out in the weather to give me a hand. Started looking at the head in the box and a fuzzy light went off. (never listen to those fuzzy light bulb thoughts)

Do not do what I type below at home please. Very stupid and dangerous not to mention risky.

OK, lets begin. I tore open the box side and back surrounding the head of the Drill Press and removed all the cardboard and ripped out the styrofoam so that the bottom of the head and the column mounting hole was exposed. I positioned the head and column mounting hole on the edge of the table. Locked the wheels on the bench.

I then picked up the column and base (very heavy for me btw), raised it level with the head mounting hole, and sid it into the head and fully seated it. Then, still holding onto the column and base, I slid the head back (still in the carboard bottom of the box) on the table a bit and made a pivot point on the column against the wooden bench.

Then I lowered the base and colum down and the Lever action lifted the head into the air.
    It was a bit stupid and a bit scarry but it worked perfectly. Actually I was stunned that I did not drop or break anything.

Here it is as assembeled so far. I will finish it up today.

Couple more notes.

Also while I was at that Berland's store I bought these Marples chisels - Dewalt Styled. I had never seen these before - I think they sold a free chisel set from some other tool. Price was $25 for the four chisels and the tool roll.

Also while I am posting - for those that know about the shaper I got last month from the Amazon clearence deal ($999 for the 43-460 shaper) here is how it turned out. She is now a 5hp single phase LVC controlled 43-460 with a new WEG motor and new old stock single phase Delta LVC. The feeder I have is a small Delta versafeeder but will work until I get a 1hp one.

Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 02-17-2007 at 11:35 AM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Cool stuff. I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself or break anything

Let us know how the DP works out.

The heaviest/dumbest thing I did myself was assemble and mount (on a wall bracket) my Oneida Super Dust Gorilla. Getting the impeller and motor mounted was a real workout for my back. heh

Pete