Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hanging outlets

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    I would have asked for the code section. I'm not a licensed electrician, but it's my understanding that you can have hanging cord caps. You need to have strain relief (the chinese finger trap wire basket thingees) on both ends. You probably could not hang a receptacle but a connector body (think end of an extension cord) would be fine.

At least - that's my understanding.

Rob

Edit: Duh - should've read Dave Rosser's post - what he said, with picture even!
    Rob,
    Thanks. I now live in Michigan and am in an area where they aren't as critical as they are in the area of California where I lived when I was trying to do the drop plugs.
    David B

Smile

The problem with using rubber cord, (flexible cable) is it shall be energized from a receptacle outlet and equipped with an attachment plug. NEC 400-7b.
    Rubber cord shall not be used as a substitute for fixed wiring. Nec 400-8.

Charlie

Charlie, there must be an exception lurking in the NEC for this particular kind of application...I cannot imagine all those workshops, labs and other facilities that use drops like this are out of compliance.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hello everyone. I am newly registered member. I have been lurking around the boards for a few months and have a learned lots of tips and tricks that are great. I think SMC is great!

I felt this subject warrants my first post. While I do not claim to be an expert about anything, I do happen to earn my living as a licensed electrician. So I feel qualified to chime in with my .02 worth on this topic.

I have installed many installations like these over the years in woodshops, classrooms, etc. I will begin by saying that the inspector always has the final say. Even if you don't agree it usually best just to agree with them and make them feel like they are doing their job.

Now section 400.7(B) & 400.8 doesn't apply to this situation. 400.7(B) refers to utilization equipment that already has cord hardwired to it. Basically they do not want you to have both ends of the cord permantly connected. It is just clarifing that you need to have cord end so that the equipment can be disconnected quickly and easily. Section 400.8 states is clarifying that it is not acceptacle to install rubber cord, where it it is more applicable to run conduit, sheathed cable or other permant wiring methods that will stand the test of time. Section 400.7 (A)(1) Pendants - allows for the use of rubber cord in this installation. Section 314.23(H)(1) Allows for pendant boxes to be supported by rubber cord as long as approved connectors are used (Kellem). As far as the receptacle on the end you can use a cord body (female attachment plug) or you can use a standard box with the kellem and then install a receptacle with cover. Yes, you must use listed items, but most items are listed. The listing has more to do with wet, damp, dry locations or what division classification that the box is acceptacle for. It may be your preference if you choose to use a box to use one with a molded hub for threading the kellem into. However a standard 4" square box will be acceptable.

Bottom line if you use the proper size rubber cord, the strain relief (kellem) on both ends (with hanging receptacle box) or one strain relief and a hanging cord end (female attachment body) you will be fine.

I apologize if my post comes off sounding like I am a know it all. I just wanted to help clarify the matter, because when it comes to electricity it just feels second nature to me. I believe everyday is a learning experience and I am always open to learning from what someone else has to say.

Ryan, don't apologize! Great information! And welcome to SMC!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...