Thread: Wooden Ball

Question Wooden Ball

I need to turn a wooden ball. It should be about 3" in diameter. Never have done this. How should I begin this project???
    Thanks for any information you can give me. I do not want to go down and buy another book or video Rob Overton

Go to your closest arcade, miniature golf arcade room or shopping mall arcade. For about 35 cents, you can get about 6 hard maple balls from the skeeball machine. They might be a little scuffed up though.

Todd.

The Summer 2003 issue of American Woodturner (the magazine of the American Association of Woodturners ) features a great article on turning spheres. Folks who have tried this method report very positive results. If you are not a member, check at the AAW site for a local chapter near you and start attending the meetings. One of the members can probably help you out with the article, too, by lending you a copy of the publication. Some of the better libraries may also subscribe and have it on file for your enjoyment. If you are a turner...consider joining this organization. The annual cost is more than worth the magazine alone!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Paging Dominic

Hi Rob,

I think that Dominic Grecko (sp) posted a tutorial on this. Check the archives.

Good Luck
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Go To This Site

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Overton
    I need to turn a wooden ball. It should be about 3" in diameter. Never have done this. How should I begin this project???
    Thanks for any information you can give me. I do not want to go down and buy another book or video Rob Overton
    Rob,
    Go to this site:
    www.geocities.com/erynthegrey/rob/woodensphere

I think it's just what you are looking for.
    I had it bookmarked.
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

No tutorial but,...

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley
    Hi Rob,

I think that Dominic Greco (sp) posted a tutorial on this. Check the archives.
    Close on the spelling. But not quite!

Rob,
    I posted something a couple of months back about how easy it was to turn a sphere. Here is the link to the original post

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hlight=spheres

It actually is quite easy. I have collected several articles on this from various WW websites if you want a copy.

After you make the necessary cup center for your chuck, and corresponding cup center for your live center, the rest all falls in place. I can knock out (6) 3" diameter spheres in under an hour. That includes sanding.

Drop me a line if you interested in the articles.
    Last edited by Dominic Greco; 12-04-2003 at 7:42 AM. Reason: Added link to original article
    Dominic Greco

Talking Thanks

It is so nice to ask a question and get an answer. Thanks to everyone for your help. Rob

Also, you can try your local Hobby Shop (sewing, crafts, etc.). I bought some fairly large oak egg shapes there for dresser legs, but I think they also have spheres.

Rob, unless you just want to turn one, you might look at Hobby Lobby or Michael's. I don't know if they've got 'em that big or not, but they've got quite a few different sizes.

KC