Thread: Lathe questions

Lathe questions

I know these type questions have been asked over and over so I apologize up front.

1. Can I safely turn wood on a large machine shop metal lathe? I was watching a video and noticed that the guy had a "catch" which made the lathe drag down and almost come to a stop. That WILL NOT happen on this lathe. It will keep turning no matter what and I was concerned about the safety factor.

2. I will mostly be making pot type turkey calls. What kind of wood should I use? I don't mean type like walnut or cherry, I mean green wood? Kiln dried? I keep hearing about turning green wood, but I would think if I made a call out of green wood it would distort the shape of the pot as the wood dried. What do yall do?

Thanks!!

Metal lathe will work...just slower.

Slow is good for bowls especially while rough turning but on small items like pens or calls...might not be too ideal. Again, it will work.

Green wood will move and at times that is ideal or preferred by some (for vessels) but not for calls. You better use dried wood. I read that calls are better turned using stabilized wood actually but don't have a first hand experience.

Green wood may also cause some rusting so if you do use it, make sure you clean up real good after.

Good luck!!!
    Dario

Part two of the question........

The metal lathe we have at work is a Jet GH-1660ZX. It is a mammoth! It will vary in speed from 25-1800 RPM.

http://www.toolstoragewarehouse.com/...jet/321930.jpg

What lathe would you recommend to someone just trying to get there feet wet? I can't spend much.......wife is pregnant with our first, but I want the best I can get for the money. I would be willing to spend $250 or so.

I made pool cues for a while, and all of the work was done on large metal lathes. For all of your straight cuts and initial rounding, you can just use a modified metal tool in the tool post. This will actually save you a lot of time over a wood lathe, and take out the danger of a catch. For pieces without many curves you could mount a trim router in the tool post with a slot cutting bit. After tuning the speed and direction, this will leave a glass smooth finish, and drop production time to next to nothing. The hard part will be creating a solid tool rest for the times when you are using the hand tools. The first thing most people do is put a piece of metal stock sideways in the tool post, but most tool posts will not accept a piece large enough to be safe from flexing badly out at the end where most of the pressure will be. It isn't hard to create a jig that clamps to the ways to hold a standard wood lathe tool rest. Just make sure you use wood on the bottom to prevent damaging the ways.

Greg,

For calls...you will be well off buying a mini. I have the Jet mini VS version and got it on sale for $200.00. That deal comes once in a blue moon but I think you can have one now for $300.00. The non-VS can be had for $200.00

There are other good mini lathes out there but I can only talk about Jet mini which I am EXTREMELY happy with.

Power bill savings alone (vs using the metal lathe) will pay for the mini in no time
    Dario

BTW...the lathe is NOT your most expensive investment. Accessory cost can amount easily above that so be warned.

In the same token...you can start with minimal of tools and add on later.

I always advocate getting the 8pc HSS set from HarborFreight for tools. Mine are still in use after 3 years and are STILL my main tools other than my bowl gouge.
    Last edited by Dario Octaviano; 02-15-2007 at 11:25 AM.
    Dario

As far as a lathe to get started on, a lot of people like the Jet Mini, which can be found close to your budget. I just bought the Rikon Mini, which is $250 exactly, but haven't had time to turn anything on it yet, so I can't say how good it is yet. That still doesn't leave you anything left over for tools and accesories though, which seems to be the most expensive part of this spinny thing. If you can find a decent used lathe locally that comes with some tooling, that might be the best option.

For 300 you can get a full size lathe. Amazon.com has the Palmgren on sale 299 with free shipping. It has a 15" swing and 42" bed I think. Good size for the price plus a 1 hp motor. I know a lttle above your price range, and mine too, but with the size and power I think it might be better starter lathe than the Jets. (word of notice I have not turned on a Palmgren, but the Jets do turn nicely).
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!