Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Box Elder smell?

Does Box Elder smell?

I cut a half log section of box elder into bowl blanks tonight. One side did seem a little punky, but the wood - especially one blank smelled like dirt, which to me means mold. I didn't see any, but maybe the wood has rotted.

I smelled the other piece of box elder I have that came from a different tree, and it smelled the same. Have I just had bad luck with box elder, or do they smell like that? Or are they prone to rot or something?
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Does Box Elder smell? Not if you cut off its nose.
    John

"It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day
    that you realize how often they burst into flames."

Yes it does sometimes!
    I cut some highly figured BE with red flame in it that stunk like a hog pen!
    That was some very stinky wood but it looked awesome finished.
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Smell

Any tree when it has started to rot can smell. I get a lot of big leaf maple that smells very sour. I did have some box elder that smelled the same. All cottonwood seems to smell that way. Some myrtle smells wonderful, and some stinks.
    robo hippy

5. In a word - Yep!

I know people that will not burn Box Elder in the house do to the smell.

We in the north call it Manitoba Maple.
    Stephen Mushinski
    Toronto, Canada

This is just a supposition....but if you consider why flaming box elder has it's flame, it is caused by damage to the tree, either by box elder beetles or by impact, wind damage, chainsaw enthusiasts...etc. When the damage occurs, fungus creeps in, grows, and migrates through the tree, giving the spectacular coloration. This causes the smell.

Just a guess, and if anyone knows for sure, I would certainly be interested.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I have a little different take on this than John. I have fould that many of the blanks I have gotten have a distinct "barnyard" kind of odor and have found that many of them came from pasture land and thus, smelled like the very rich soil they came from. Grown in cow flop = smells like cow flop.

Hmmm...I hadn't thought about that Chris. That might be right.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Thanks guys. I'll just have to see if I can hold my breath while I turn.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Blog Entries
    If you want a great smelling wood, Bubinga smells like chocolate coffee and Bocote smells like strong oranges.

I'll pass on sniffing the bubinga, thank you very much...it's the one species that I've found a major sensitivity to!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I've been lucky so far. No reaction to any wood yet. That Bocote is pretty pungent though.

Since we're talking about other woods...I turned a piece of Kiaat last week and it smelled great. Kinda like tobacco. And no I'm not trying to smoke the shavings.

Box elder bark and sap smells like those weird ladybug-looking things that swarm inside in the fall do when you crush 'em. Not pleasant, not as bad as some things.

The areas where you get stagnant water in the tree, like the crotches and injured places where you also get the red can be really bad. More like willow than the beetle smell.

John, I think you're onto something there. I've cut Box Elder before and today, I cut some that had been blown down and broken up a few months ago. Tho it was still living, it was badly broken and WOW does it stinK!! I was a little concerned for a while but I wondered if it may be a fungus. Also, I had a little "sneezing spell" a little while later and the smell lingers in my "nose" (or memory) yet! Pretty bad and to me it was sort of "acidic - sour"?? Good thought John.
    Sam