Thread: 18th century forums

18th century forums

Does anyone know of a forum dedicated to 18th c furniture and architecture? SMC, SAPFM, WC all have a bit now and then, but discussions quickly lose focus on the 18th c aspects and web searches turn up dead ends. Is there anything out there "hard-core"?

If you find something, let the rest of us know. I built a piece based on an 18th century chest and finding information was exceptionally difficult - especially any measurements beyond height, width and depth. There are a few people here, especially Alan Turner, who have a good knowledge of some 18th century furniture and are willing to offer advice. Alan is not as active as he used to be because of his business.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Try the Society of American Period Furniture Makers

http://www.sapfm.org/

Oops, sorry. Greg mentioned it in the first post.

The SAPFM forum used to be more active before the software was changed. You might try joining one of the SAPFM local chapeters if there's one in your area. New ones are being added and they are becoming increasingly active. Here in NH we are lucky, our local guild has a period furniture group and thee is a New England SAPFM chapter.

Another possibility is one of the furnitue restoration groups.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH
    ...Here in NH we are lucky, our local guild has a period furniture group and thee is a New England SAPFM chapter...
    Does joining SAPFM require using thee and thou?

Sorry, Dave. I couldn't resist!

As silly as it seems, the only reason I haven't joined SAPFM has been due to the inactivity of the forum. I don't have a lot of time, travel is out, and it seems about the only way I could see "actively" participating would be via their forum.

So I'm interested in this issue as well.

Sometimes I feel I live on the wrong side of the country...much less the wrong century.

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH
    The SAPFM forum used to be more active before the software was changed.
    When it comes to software and using technology, the SAPFM is stuck in the 18th century. Their new forum software is absolutely terrible.

It's almost like they went out of their way to make the web site unattractive and unusable. For people like me, on the opposite coast, the web site and any web functions are my view of, and interface to, the organization. I didn't renew my membership this year because of the web site.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-17-2007 at 1:21 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Adam Cherubini, a PWW contributer, has started a blog you can find here:

http://www.popwood.com/blog3/

He has been writing an "Arts & Mysteries" column for PWW, as well as contributing to another forum, that demystify many of the tools and techniques of that era.
    ~Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Moening
    Adam Cherubini, a PWW contributer, has started a blog you can find here:

http://www.popwood.com/blog3/

He has been writing an "Arts & Mysteries" column for PWW, as well as contributing to another forum, that demystify many of the tools and techniques of that era.
    Darn Dasn beat me to it, I was going to suggest that as well. He is going to do a series of columns this year for PW on a specific piece of furniture, and plans to add aditional stuff in the blog, it looks promising at this point.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

How about 17th Century reproduction furniture? Not a forum, but some rather interesting info just the same.

http://www.heartofthewood.com/

Kevin