Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk about falling behind - WOW

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Talk about falling behind - WOW

I cranked up my computer this afternoon after a five day absence. I have been on jury duty (Grand Jury) all week 8:30 to 4:30. I had 147 e-mails and 20 pages of threads with new posts. Needless to say I have been at the computer for several hours.

The Grand Jury was so intense that by the time I got home all I wanted to do was eat some supper and hit the sack. We reviewed over 350 felony cases in 5 days. If you want a real awakening of what is going on in your community, sit on the grand jury.

I have to return on March 12th for another full week.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

If I had the free time, I would love to do that someday.

I bet you were bummed you weren't allowed to just shoot some of them on site!

Heck, I check in here twice a day and always have 4-5 pages of threads with new posts.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Our justice system is remarkable and maddening at the same time. I've never been on a Grand Jury, but about 4 years ago I sat on a capitol murder trial. I was sequestered (sp?) for 9 days of the 12 or 13 day trial. It was a great experience that I would never trade. I was lucky that it was a slam dunk affair, we reached the verdict on the first vote...took about 15 minutes.
    Thanks for serving in this capacity Ken! Without this type of service by our citizens there is no telling what kind of scumbags would be out amongst us. It's bad enough like it is! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Thanks, Ken, for a little bit of insight into Grand Jury. I got my notice to appear on March 8, the first time I've ever been called for any type of jury duty. Somehow I don't think they are going to take me, since I work in the law profession, but I've seen stranger things happen.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Thanks for your service to your community Ken. I'm sure you did it well.

Nancy- I doubt you'll be taken being in the legal profession. My Dad has been called many times for both jury and grand jury duty. Each time they interivew him and ask the question about his education. When answers that he has an LLB, the next words are," You're excused." He never took the bar or practiced, but it doesn't matter.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I've wondered, at times, what is different between the Canadian and the American justice systems... For one thing, you folks seem to use juries a whole lot more than we do up here in Canada. I'm 42 and have only once in my life received a Jury summons.
    "It's Not About You."

I have served on juries many times, pettit and federal. I think everyone should serve when called.
    Earl

Art, I've also only ever been called once...about two years ago. One day...I wasn't picked for the trial ( which sounded like a no-brainer drug case ) and went home early. But the process was interesting and I actually look forward to the next time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have only been called twice. The first time I was so po'ed I didn't know if I would ever answer again. The judge spent over a half hour telling us about what a wonderful job he was doing and how his opponet in the upcoming election would be terrible.

The second time was almost 20 years later. I was selected and then dismissed because of the type of trial. I don't know how jury selection takes place but I'm amazed I have only been called the two times. This is after being eligable in five different states.

Never been called.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I sat on a medical malpractice jury and I found it to be very interesting.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Johnson
    I don't know how jury selection takes place but I'm amazed I have only been called the two times. This is after being eligible in five different states.
    Different states use different different selection processes. They use to use drivers' licence registration here in Alabama, but then changed it to voter registration records about 10 years ago. I have been back in Alabama for 14 years and this is my second tour of duty. Served on juries in Texas and Kentucky in the past.

Everyone should do their civic duty by serving when called on to do so. Using lame excuses to get relieved of duty is dereliction of a citizen's responsibility.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

I live in Prattville, Al, the preferred Community
    I have been called once in my 24 years here in Alabama, then the vic took the deal , so no trial.

Wayne

Once for me...no trial. I'm late to this thread....from the title I thought it Ken wanted to talk about the effect of gravity on his anatomy

I've been called 3 or 4 times, but never put on a jury. Here in MA you're called for one trial or one day, so they rotate more people through and inconvenience them less.