Thread: Hand rubbed?

Hand rubbed?

I'm familiar with wet sanding building finishes (poly, varnish, lacquer, etc) to various degrees of gloss, (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=49826) but I'm confused with the term, "hand rubbed."

I've read in literature and magazines statements like, "nothing beats a hand rubbed oil finish." Does that mean sanding (wet or otherwise) with fine grits like 600, 800, 1200, etc? Am I missing anything here? Are finishes like tung oil (Seal-a-cell), BLO, and Danish oil sanded down to fine grits also?

Hand rubbed would normally mean finished to a polish by hand.

Hand rubbed oil finish I would take to mean any non-hardening oil finish that is applied by hand. Often rubbed in with steel wool.

Sounds like an ad sales thing to me. Whats really in a work anyway.

On a hand crafted knife blade "hand rubbed" usually means very fine scratches running the length of the blade giving a satin finish. It is usually accomplished with 1000 grit paper and a wooden stick with an eraser on it. One pass with 1000 then a new piece. Looks really cool but sorta labor intesive.

I guess that is to say it means what you want it to.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"