Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burning Pile of Walnut

Burning Pile of Walnut

Here's how I started my day
    burningwalnut.jpg
    This Burning Pile of Walnut was what I ran into at the sawmill on my woodrun today. The burn pile is actually a gully, so the pile is about 10 feet high. Paul, the owner said that I could go out there and save some of it so I booked on over. Ends up that the pile was filled with Walnut and Cherry 4/4 lumber....along with tons of burls and various cutoffs. The lumber was in there because it wasn't 10 feet long so it was useless to them. Sheesh. I said, "Paul...you're breaking my heart man!" He said, "Let's go out there and see what we can save". So he grabbed a chainsaw and cut through the pile and we got a bunch of gorgeous walnut chunks. Then he started tossing out lumber. Evidently, I will be able to load up on all the flat stuff year round, so I guess the loft above the shop is about to be dedicated to lumber.
    Here's the lumber. I piled it in the shop like this so the snow could melt and hopefully get it dried out a bit. I'll sticker it tommorrow.
    lumber.jpg
    It's all cherry and walnut. Much of it is nicely figured stuff. Beautiful wood.....for fl..fl...flatwork.
    lumber.jpg
    Here's a closeup of one of the figured walnut boards
    figuredlumber.jpg

But....on to the turning wood.
    TurningWood.jpg
    I just love this stuff. Paul considers it to be trash and just loves the fact that someone will make something out of it. We talked for a good hour today...about turning....but also about sharpening. He taught me how to sharpen my bandsaw blade and I was able to do my 93" blade tonight in 15 minutes. It was great. Oh...also, he gave me the number to a company where he gets his blades. He pays $13 for his 17 foot sawmill blades. As soon as I contact them, I'll post the details here so we can all benefit from this source.

I took one piece today and made this. Still not done, but Man!!! this stuff is pretty! It's 8" diameter and 3" deep.

Bowl.jpg
    Continued.....
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Here's some shots of some of the pieces
    This first piece is the bottom of the tree. I figger it's got some awesome figure inside
    1.jpg1A.jpg

This next one is a spalted walnut slab. The first pic is out of focus but you can see how big it is.
    2SpaltedSlab.jpg
    This is a close up. I don't think I captured the colors. They are great. should make a nice platter.
    3SpaltedSlab-closeup.jpg
    Here's another piece with a feather. That inclusion goes about 3" deep.
    4.jpg

Anyways...pretty fun time. I guess they start grading lumber on Monday and they'll be saving all the rejects for me. I'll pick up a couple truckloads on thursday. I love this place!!!!
    ~john

Good gravey John. You talk about being in heaven. Congrats on the wood John.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

John, love these stories! My brother lives in Douglassville, prolly not too far away. BTW, did you say you got snow down there?
    Ed

heh heh....yeah Ed. We got one or two flakes. We have access to one door to the house, and the snowblower has paid for itself. We wanted lots of snow this winter and December was a disappointment. February made up for it.
    ~john

Hey John,

With so much free wood to be had it sounds like a business opportunity there. I have often wondered if a small outfit focused at supplying hardwood to hobbiest but, using essentially free sources like yours, could make a go of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton
    Hey John,

With so much free wood to be had it sounds like a business opportunity there. I have often wondered if a small outfit focused at supplying hardwood to hobbiest but, using essentially free sources like yours, could make a go of it.
    Yup....And since the people who were buying our old house skipped out on us, we're stuck paying two mortgages. So...yes, I'm making a go of it. If you looking in the Manufacturing Forums at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=24

I've just gotten started, but hopefully I can do this instead of getting a part-time job. Plus, I get to help the folks out that don't have ready access to decent turning wood.
    ~john

John
    Looks like you are set for turning wood for a good long time. Congtrats.
    Terry

It should be considered a crime to be able to burn such woods. Wow you've landed in woodworkers heaven me thinks. I think I'm moving to Ohio.. hmm maybe I can talk the wife into selling and buying your old place John

Again, thanks for posting all these pictures. I do enjoy looking at all your wood finds.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Excellent find John,
    and if you ever feel like your stack is getting too big send it on over to La Salle, Illinois....
    I know a guy who knows a guy who knows me and he says that I can make sawdust out of anything !!!!
    --Chris

" The best part of waking up, is making a bowl or a cup"
    Stolen Folgers Slogan--It's OK to sing it, we can't hear you

Thats some dandy wood John, At our local mill here they have a pile of nothing but ends. Looks just like fire wood and that is what people get it for, but many of the pieces is a perfect 4'' thick 12''wide 12'' long. Perfect for many bowls. Ready for a face plate and a band saw. You might want to see if the mill has one of these piles if you run out of wood before your an old man. By the way that bowl looks like it's going to be a beauty
    865 miles southeast of Steve Schlumpf.

Nice pile of free wood . Lets see the pic of that bowl when you get it done.
    865 miles southeast of Steve Schlumpf.

Blog Entries
    Man thats like finding a 56 corvette for 300 bucks! You've got a gold mine their. Will you ever see your family again or will they just visit you in the shop. Congradulations on the awsome score. P.S. Can I buy some from you? I'll pay and cover shipping.

John, I am getting totally tired of this !!!!
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE