Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burning Pile of Walnut

Thumbs down

Heh Heh, again, some guys have all the luck
    Cool Place, this Sawmill Creek.

This is getting to be a bit of a regular weekend harvest epic tale...hopefully one with no end in sight and and lots of happy chapters. Happy for you John, and best of luck on your new endeavour. Will be placing and order later in the year.
    measure, cut, shake head

burning walnut

man could i have a field day with that pile. i guess one mans trash is another mans treasure. have fun

Nice haul. Gotta love recycling.

I cannot really understand why an 8' board would not be marketable for them. It really couldn't throw off production too much to put all the six to nine footers in a pile and sell them to somebody. This kind of production waste is sloppy management to me. Now the burls and crotch pieces I understand; that stuff is worthless!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burns
    John, I am getting totally tired of this !!!!
    Does that mean you want to come up and play?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sontag
    I cannot really understand why an 8' board would not be marketable for them. It really couldn't throw off production too much to put all the six to nine footers in a pile and sell them to somebody. This kind of production waste is sloppy management to me.
    I asked the same question Tom....and here's the problem. First off, this is just a little Amish family sawmill and they saw about 12-14 hours a day...6 days a week....The father and 3 boys doing nothing but loading, sawing, planing, and stickering. The Logs belong to the logging company and the boards go to a buyer that specifies volume and board specifications....and these guys can barely keep up with the volume. They only get $3 per 50 board feet, so to spend 10 minutes to save a $.50 piece of lumber...just isn't logical to them.....Plus, they don't really have rights to sell it. I think that they feel that would be dishonest. Lucky for me!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    ...They only get $3 per 50 board feet...
    Aha! The primary reason stuff gets wasted is because the pricing mechanism is askew. Sawing for 6 cents per bf is the true mistake. I've never heard of anyone working for less than $100/mbf (10 cents per bf). No wonder they cannot keep up with demand.

First off, congradulations and become really good friends with that mill owner. Where I live all types of maple, birch, ash and elm is very plentiful and there are small to good sized mills it seems everywhere in the country. I just returned from one such mill last weekend and picked up a trailer load of birdseye end cuts, some 2 feet long, 2 to 4" thick....all for a case of beer<G>

I sure would like to find walnut and cherry, they are some of my favorite woods.

John, it sounds like you and Andy need to do a little wood swapping so that you can benefit from each of your native species.

Blog Entries
    Anyone want to trade some Mesquite for some Maple or walnut?

Beautiful pile of firewood John. You lucky dawg you.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I thought this move was all about getting the family out of the city etc. Nahhh.... you just moved for all the free wood you had scoped out in the area..... that and the new shop Lucky guy John...lucky guy!!

corey

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Yup....And since the people who were buying our old house skipped out on us, we're stuck paying two mortgages.
    Aw man... that's awful John. Hope everything works out with this.

That is some great looking wood and a great job on the bowl. Pretty stuff.

John, sorry to hear that about the 2 morgtages. Wishing for the best for you.

corey