Thread: Recommendations for router table plans?

Recommendations for router table plans?

I've almost decided on what router I want to buy (Bosch 1617). I don't know how long until I will want to build a router table, but after looking at a few different options, I think it might be soon!

Several of the plans at plansnow.com look great: http://plansnow.com/routertable.html

I like to looks of the portable table since I have very little space to work with in my garage, and I could get it out of the way easily. I'm not sure how well it would actually work though.

I'd like to have a nice table, with lots of storage, but I thought starting simple would be the best way to go since I have no experience with a table or building any type of cabinets and drawers. But, I thought it could be a good learning project.

What are some other plans? Any tips out of your experience for someone who is new to this? Thanks!

Luke

Blog Entries
    one of the simplest plans that worked very well for me was obtained from woodhaven.com

I made mine more elaborate than was needed but hey why not?

I must have deleted the front shots of the completed cabinet...

Luke,

That table looks pretty good, but I would probably make the top a little thicker. Unless it is thicker than the 3/4 it appears to be. You want the top to stay dead flat, and it will be weakened when you start chopping dados out of it for miter tracks.

I am building the NYW table. It looks neat, but is quite a time consuming deal for a noobie like myself.

I'm also gonna build the NYW table. Ive' read some some tips from other forums and I like what they did as far as changes. Most of them made the top with 2 layers of 3/4" MDF instead of 1-3/4 and 1- 1/2 layers. they would also laminate all the fence pieces. some installed more mitre track instead of cutting the slots like in the plans. On the top one guy stated he used confirment(sp) screws instead of regular screws to hold the 2 layers together. here is a link to one page of a guy that built the table,on the page ther is a link to his list of tips and changes I found it to have many good ideas. http://www.just4fun.org/woodworking/...able/index.htm

Hope this helps ya out....
    I can sure make a mean pile of Saw Dust !!!

I like the plan and the cabinet style of the router table cabinet at Jointech:

http://www.jointech.com/routerstation.htm
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

The NYW router table is a very nice design. (Be sure and look at the updated version, not the original...many improvements)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

NYW Router Table

Luke: I just finished building a NYW router table a few weeks ago. It has become one of the most used tools in my shop. The only change I have made is to increase the dust collection outlet and hose to 4". Here's a link to the pictures:

Mike

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=49891
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

"I'm also gonna build the NYW table. Ive' read some some tips from other forums and I like what they did as far as changes. Most of them made the top with 2 layers of 3/4" MDF instead of 1-3/4 and 1- 1/2 layers."

Terry

Do you think they might have done that to avoid buying another size sheet of MDF? I don't think I would want the top much heavier than it is at 1 1/4. I think I could use it as a car trailer ramp as it is right now.

Starting simple.

Bigger pix, 1 and 2.

yeah I'm thinkin' thats why they did it. More security ,being thicker,maybe? Kinda like the guy that wears a belt and suspenders...HAHA
    I can sure make a mean pile of Saw Dust !!!

The Dec '05 issue of Woodworker's Journal has a nice table that they built. Even has a pretty clever built in retractable set of casters.

Blog Entries
    You have a quandary in that you want a router table but are pressed for space. If you're going with a stand alone table and have room many folks here like Norm's as do I (from a design standpoint, don't have it). I use my table saw extension to maximize my use of that footprint.

Mine is at the end of this thread and take only a few more square feet of floorspace than my TS did without it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46933

P.s. Before I went this route I started with just a factory table mounted to the left wing with supports angled back to my mobile base. I have since figured out that I never move my TS and so remove the mobile base and built the RT cabinet to stand on the floor.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-18-2007 at 1:22 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler