Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats it worth and to who? odd tools w/pics

Whats it worth and to who? odd tools w/pics

A friend of mine gave me these and I jut wonder what they could be worth to somebody. Not really useful to me since the invention of electricity but in good shape and working none the less.

Any ideas?

DSCN0149.JPG

DSCN0150.JPG

DSCN0151.JPG

Thanks

Ben
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Don't underestimate the value of hand tools. Norm even uses that Yankee push drill still.

Richard

Send me that Yankee and i'll put it to good use.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

First picture, far right tool is an old automotive valve adjusting tool.

The middle picture is of an expansion bit for hand drilling various diameter holes with a brace. (I cut the end off of mine and now use it in an electric drill.)
    Jim

Blog Entries
    I have a few of those yankee screwdrivers.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Electrons are over-rated. I'd love to have an adjustable drill bit like that to go in my brace.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

John,
    I have come across soveral of these adjustable bits at various times and places, but shied away from them, fearing that they wouldn't work as well. I gather from your response that they actually work reasonably well?

Mark

What use is there for a yankee screwdriver anymore? I would like to use it as it is a nice size and in like new shape but I have (last count) 8 cordless drills, 4 corded and 1 drill press.

I used on e when I was a kid and all I remember was that it needed to be oiled well to work right but if you touched the oily shaft you were a mess and so was your work.

Steve- I think that tool is an old socket handle or drill driver handle but I could be wrong. Look here and let me know as I have never seen one. It does have a forward and reverse ratchet action though-pull out knob and rotate 180 to change directions. Made by Goodell Pratt Co., Greenfield Mass..

DSCN0156.JPG

DSCN0157.JPG

DSCN0158.JPG

What U think?
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Mark,

No I haven't used one, but I know they were produced for a long time by quality companies.

I also have a nice brace and no bits to use in it. And a green woodworking project in my future which would benefit from being able to dial in the hole size.

They look they would be dangerous at any speed to speak of though.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grunow
    What use is there for a yankee screwdriver anymore? I would like to use it as it is a nice size and in like new shape but I have (last count) 8 cordless drills, 4 corded and 1 drill press.
    Ben.
    That Yankee Screwdriver in a tight application can be a godsend. A cordless drill/screwdriver limits the space in which it can work by it's size. The Yankee can get anywhere you can place your hand. It's still a very viable,and valuable tool. The "real ones" were much better than the clones.
    Yankee also had a small drill index for the driver at one time. You could do some very fine precision drilling with it.
    The fact that the screwdriver and the Irwin are still in their original boxes probably adds some "collectability" to them.

Give us first shot at the Yankee before you eBay it, If you decide not to keep it that is.

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber
    Electrons are over-rated. I'd love to have an adjustable drill bit like that to go in my brace.

I'm no Arnold Schwarzenegger (which in German means 'Black Plowman') but I can still out torque any electrically corded drill with a brace and bit.

recent ebay listing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JF
    Apprentice Wooddorker
    Future Amputee

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grunow

I used on e when I was a kid and all I remember was that it needed to be oiled well to work right but if you touched the oily shaft you were a mess and so was your work.

Steve- I think that tool is an old socket handle or drill driver handle but I could be wrong. Look here and let me know as I have never seen one. It does have a forward and reverse ratchet action though-pull out knob and rotate 180 to change directions. Made by Goodell Pratt Co., Greenfield Mass..

DSCN0156.JPG

DSCN0157.JPG

DSCN0158.JPG

What U think?
    Looks like one of the old valve adjusting tools to me. Some models used a flat head bit, and later models (mainly imports), used a socket, on the ones I have seen.

Kinda like a tappet wrench, who uses them to adjust their valve tappets anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber

They look they would be dangerous at any speed to speak of though.
    Isn't that why we do things? Every opportunity to bloody oneself must be fully explored, as LOML often reminds me.

Jim