Thread: Inspiration

Inspiration

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a particular book or other source of inspiration as far as bowl shapes go. I save all the pictures I can from here and other forums, but I can use all the inspiration I can get!

Jason
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Jason,

I was on the same boat a few months ago and bought some books but honestly, after saving about 400 pictures from here and other places...my computer file (at least for me) is much better resource than any of the books I have.

Also note that the book (as well as online pics) are highly influenced by your own style. What I like might not be what you are looking for.

BTW, when looking for shapes, don't limit yourself on woodturning books. Note that pottery and glass bowls and vases can be good inspirational pieces too.
    Dario

here's two places to look into;

http://www.woodturner.org/

and

http://www.kestrelcreek.com/

pretty interesting items on both sites.
    best regards,

jeffrey fusaro

I agree with Dario on this one. I have a shelf full of books and they are collecting dust because I always come back to online. I also look at pottery, glass bowls, vases, etc. for ideas.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

There's a book I enjoyed called "500 Wood Bowls".
    http://www.amazon.com/500-Wood-Bowls.../dp/1579904831
    But like they said, books tend to sit on the shelf. On-line is much less static. I can think of dozens of websites but rather than overwhelm you I'll just throw these two links out.

Don't click this unless you have hours to spend:
    http://www.turningwood.com/artists.htm

Good eye-candy here if you like artsy stuff:
    http://www.delmano.com/exhibitions/past/index.htm

I look at ancient Egyptian and Roman pottery. Mostly by doing internet searches through museums and stuff.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Lightbulb Keep a sketch pad...

I'm an industrial designer and as someone who has to design for a living, even if you don't feel like it that day, you have to pull up the inspiration to get the job done. So, some suggestions on inspiration.

First, keep a note pad or sketch pad with you all the time. I use little 5 x 8 black books with blank pages I get at the stationary store. You'd be surprised how often you see something or an idea hits you when you get use to having one of these in your pocket. Keeping a log of those thoughts and observations provides inspiration for later.

"If you want a new idea, read an old book." While there are lots of contemporary books and sites with beautiful turnings, I've found that when I use them for design inspiration, rather than technique, my work winds up looking like those pieces, rather than something original. So, when I'm looking for ideas I look to a broad variety of sources including ancient pottery, stone, metal and glass pieces as well as architecture from Egypt, Greece and Rome, down through the ages to contemporary work. The library, Amazon and museums provide a wealth of books and antiquities to see. You'll find an amazing number of archeological and architectural history books with great black and white silouhettes and drawings of all sorts of shapes that serve as inspiration.

Rough turn ideas with junk wood. Sometimes I take a piece of elm or fir or other scrap wood and just start turning shapes. One idea will lead to the next and a few hours of 'ideating' on the lathe can lead to some great designs. I turn small pieces to quickly study an idea and line them all up on the bench to think about. But be careful, you'll find yourself waking up in the middle of the night with just the idea to perfect that elusive shape that wouldn't quite work. Keep the sketch book close...

An idea my dad taught me. It's an old trick. He was a turner and often would fold a piece of paper in half and sketch out half of a design using the crease as the center line, then cut it out and unfold it to see the whole shape. If the shape isn't quite right, you can fold it in half again and trim it a little, or use it as a template to trace around on another piece of folded paper as a form to further develop in pencil, before you cut it out.

Last, but not least, look to nature. From seed pods and flowers, to leaves, insects, fish and strange quirks of nature, there are almost an infinite number of shapes and forms. I find thistle flowers and pods, flower buds and fruits particularly interesting. Mother nature has a way of proportioning things just right and providing ideas for coloring things.

So, just a few ways to get the creative juices going. Good luck.

Tom

Pottery forms can be good. There is a book called 500 wooden bowls that is a nice book to own as well.
    http://www.amazon.com/500-Wood-Bowls...e=UTF8&s=books
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.