Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw work light--looking for ideas

1. Bandsaw work light--looking for ideas

My new big bandsaw is casting its own shadow on my cutline. So what are you guys doing for light at this spot? Any ideas? I'm thinking something with magnets and a gooseneck.

You can rig something up but Woodcraft and even Lowes sells something like this and it's under $20:

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-25-869-M.../dp/B0000223AK

Jameel
    I use a magnetic lamp from harbor freight.90766-4VGA Costs less than $10.00 and works well. Think I have 4 of them.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

I also have a few of the Harbor Freight magnetic base lamps and one stays on my bandsaw. Had no problems with them, and I was skeptical.
    Any day I wake up is a good day.

There was an earlier post about adding a transformer to the 220 line coming into the saw to hard wire a 110 line for a mounted light. I haven't done it yet, but I don't have any 110 outlets close to the BS and I don't want more cords lying around the floor. It sound like a good permanent solution. JCB.

6. Quote Originally Posted by John Bush
    There was an earlier post about adding a transformer to the 220 line coming into the saw to hard wire a 110 line for a mounted light. I haven't done it yet, but I don't have any 110 outlets close to the BS and I don't want more cords lying around the floor. It sound like a good permanent solution. JCB.
    I'd definitely be interested in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameel Abraham
    I'd definitely be interested in that.
    My Oneida DC system is 220 but I had my electrician hook up the DC's bag gripper system which runs off of 110 to the DC's motor electrical connection box. It was no big deal; he had it done in five minutes or less. I would think someone who knows what they are doing could do the similar thing with your machine, but I'm no electrician. Have any friends in the business?? If you're like me, DON'T try doing it yourself!

Little bit odd solution - I bought a propane grill at Lowes two years ago and the deal included a *free* gooseneck magnetic (or clamp-on) LED light. I didn't need it for the grill, but it works as a BS (or drill press) spotlight. Runs off batteries (originals have lasted more than a year) and doesn't throw a great amount of light, but you can spot it right down at the blade or bit. Also moves effortlessly from tool to tool.

Blog Entries
    I use the HF lamp mentioned here. It is a little bigger than the Delta but half the price. It articulates as opposed to flexing. Upside - stays put. Downside- doesn't flex.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I found a goose neck light fixture that had a long neck and uses 100 watt bulbs. Then i got 4 large rare earth magnets from Lee Valley with the metal cups that help focus the magnetic field and built my own base for the goose neck fixture. It works great!

I even made two small magnetic holders to control the power cord of the light so it's out of the way. The holders are made out of wood and have the plastic clips that electricians use to control wires.

I use this on my Delta 14" bandsaw, so I cut the curve of the front top wheel door into the wood, to match the surface exactly. I was happy with the outcome, considering it worth the extra effort.

On my 220-powered bandsaw, I have a 110-volt work light. It is one of those standard things with a magnetic base and a flexible neck, so it can stick anyplace on the saw. The slightly tricky part is the electrical feed. I bolted a small 220:110 volt transformer on the back of the saw. The transformer has the 110 outlet on it, so the light plugs into it. The 220 side was a power cord with a 220 plug on the end. I cut off the plug, drilled a hole in the saw, and fed the cord into the saw's switch box. It connects on the motor side of the saw's power switch. When I turn the saw on, the light comes on.

If you're comfortable with house wiring, this is a straightforward modification.

band saw light

Hi Jameel: There is a lamp that is very very good but also very pricey made by Lee Valley / Veritas. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43456,43349
    If the link doesn't work go to www.leevalley.com and search for "utility lamp".
    I saw it mentioned in a woodworking website and it was highly recommended. I also saw it on Lonnie Bird's bandsaw in a FWW video on Ogee bracket feet and on another woodworking geru's video. After having problems with a $20 cheaper lamp I got on sale at Woodcraft for a year I finally bit the bullet and got one of Lee Valley's. It works really well and despite the high cost I have been very happy with it. It is very high quality. It has a long neck and where you place it the lamp stays put. That was one problem with the cheaper one. Also the neck is very long which makes postioning it to an advantageous view point is easy ( a second problem with the cheapie one). It also takes 100 watt bulbs which my old eyes need and has a heat sink buuilt-in so that you don't get burnt is you are close ( a problem with my cheap reflector lamps). I liked it so much that I bought another one. It comes with three types of mounting: magnetic base (which is very strong) and two different types of brackets. You can also buy an optional c-clamp base which I bought and I like it and use a lot. This makes it easly moveable by just pulling up on the base ring and putting it in another base. There is also a lamp similar to the Lee Valley lamp by a company called Danray, I read about it in a woodworking magazine: http://www.danrayproducts.com/store/SnakeArmLamps.cfm. I don't anything about it though. It seemed as expensive as the Lee Valley and comes with only one mounting bracket. FYI
    Gary

13. Gary,

Thanks! I can't beleive I've never seen that one in the LV catalog. That's a nice looking lamp. The Danray looks to be the same lamp. Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to order...

Oh yeah, did you find the 18" LV to be adequate, or do you think the 24" Danray would be better. I have an 18" Bridgewood bandsaw, so the mounting locations are a but farther away than a 14" saw.
    Last edited by Jameel Abraham; 02-20-2007 at 10:16 AM.

I use a cheap, clamp-on work light. $6 from Home Depot.

I use one of the Delta lights with the magnetic base shown above. It works ok. I say ok as opposed to great as I find that I bump it and knock it off fairly frequently so I keep a ready supply of lightbulbs around.