Thread: Stemware Shelf

Stemware Shelf

Finished up the stemware shelf that LOML wanted so we could hang up our glasses. The design is one that I came up with after looking at quite a few commerically available ones. The profile for the brackets was a combination of a couple I've seen in the past. Making all those glass holders was very tedious, then spacing them correctly so they would hold all of our stems, from the largest to the smallest took some time with a mock-up and adjusting the sizes. Once I got it right, I kept the mock-up in case I want to ever build another.

The shelf is 3/4" cabinet grade plywood. All the rest is maple. I bought the spindles (I'm not a turner). I finished it with walnut dye and topped it with several coats of watco danish oil. The top of the shelf got 2 coats of poly instead of the oil.

There's a wine rack in the future projects list that will match this.

Be well,

Doc
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice job Doc,

Very nice finish. I like the taper to the stem slots.

Roger

Smile Stemware Shelf

Doc,
    You're not going to believe this, but I just finished some stemware holders that fit under our kitchen cabinets and they look exactly like the holder parts of yours! What angle did you use on the tapers? I used 12 degrees, it seemed to fit our glasses best. Your shelf is beautiful, I didn't have room for anything like that. Mine just fit under our cabinets.
    Eddie
    Eddie in So. West Virginia BP

Eddie, the tapers are 15*. This was based on the average that would fit all of the glasses we have. As I said, I experimented with different angles, thicknesses, and spacing until I came up with what worked best. All in all, just that part took about 4 hours. But in the end things went together very easily and setup was a snap. I kept my prototype to use in the future for setup if I ever need to make more.

Thanks, be well,

Doc

Don, aren't those spindles fun to align and glue? The project is beautiful.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Shelf

Doc,

Great looking shelf. That should make the LOYL very happy. Thanks for letting us see the pictures.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution