Thread: What are you using to turn pens?

What are you using to turn pens?

I will be attending the WW Show in Milwaukee this weekend and hopefully, I will be able to upgrade my pen turning tools at the Craftsupplies USA booth. I have been turning with a benjamins best set, but I think the gouge is too small and the skew chisel is an oval shape and I think a flat one would be better. What are you using?

I have been using the ($25.00 then) 8 pc HSS set of HarborFreight for almost 3 years now...works perfectly fine for me.

BTW, it has a flat skew and most that I've talked to swears the oval one is better. I rounded the side edges of mine.
    Dario

The Benjamins Best are very decent turning tools. If you have the pen sized ones or that's what they call them, I agree, they are just too small for me. Benjamin's Best full sized tools are great, I have a bunch of them and if you ruin one, you can replace fairly easy.

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Dario Octaviano
    most that I've talked to swears the oval one is better. I rounded the side edges of mine.
    I agree that a round side edge is worthwhile. The oval shape makes it "tippy" on the tool rest for me. I feel like I would have more control if it were flat.

I use mine in shearing cut mode (vs scraper) so flat is not good for me. Oval (I think) is easier to to use at least the way I use it.
    Dario

I use a 1/2" round-nose scraper, a 1" oval skew chisel, and a 1/4" parting tool on my pens. The 1/2" round-nose is part of an old Atlas set that came with my FIL's lathe in about 1952; the skew chisel is an HSS from Woodworker's Supply, and the parting tool is part of the 5-piece HSS mini set also from Woodworker's. I have the best luck with the scraper, turn down to just proud of the bushings and take the rest down with sanding.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

My primary pen turning tool is a full sized 3/4" Robert Larson skew.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

i used a robert sorby spindle master on the first, and only pen that i've turned.

read about it in "pen turner's workbook - second edition" by barry gross.

seemed to work pretty well.

minimal white knuckle factor.

i use a sorby 3/4" roughing gouge to get things round.
    best regards,

jeffrey fusaro

I use a 1/2 inch BB bowl gorge. But about the only thing I make is deer horn pens with shell casings. My pictures are really bad I know.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use two tools to turn most pens a 3/4 Sorby roughing gouge to round it then a home made 1/2 inch round skew made from a 1/2 inch drill blank from Enco to finish it to size.
    Mike Vickery

OOOOHHHHH nice pen!!!! Love the antler and brass combo! I also have seen a pen, I think on here, that had someones militry burial salute casings. Made a nice present for the person to commemorate their Grandfather. I hope to do that soon for a friend of mine.

As for tools. I use a home made 3/8" round nose scaper, 1/2" gouge to round, parting tool for straight designs.
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Bobby, your pic isn't bad and the pen is great. What kind of deer antler is that? I made one antler pen for my brother in law and could not stand the smell in the shop for about a week!

Quote Originally Posted by RichMagnone
    Bobby, your pic isn't bad and the pen is great. What kind of deer antler is that? I made one antler pen for my brother in law and could not stand the smell in the shop for about a week!
    It is whitetail deer and I only use old seasoned deer horns. The fresher they are the more they stink. Smell like burned hair.I have a friend that picks up all the sheds off his deer lease for me.