Thread: Projects taking longer?

Projects taking longer?

Maybe others have noticed this, or maybe I'm just odd. Possibly both...

I find that almost every project I do takes longer to complete than the last one. This might be normal if each project was harder, but the projects are quite similar. I've been making dovetail boxes for a while, but box production is quickly grinding to a halt. With each box I'm noticing mistakes and blemishes that wouldn't have bothered me before. Am I getting too anal retentive, or is this normal? The boxes are definitely coming out better, but when I read other posts people talk about projects taking less time, not more.

I just thought I'd see if I was alone in this.

As long as your not making a living and jobs are backed up I think its a good thing. I think it shows your striving and pushing your skills to greater levels. As long as your having fun, too.

Blog Entries
    I tend to try something new and different (even if its not required) on each project so, yeah, each one takes longer than the first as a rule for me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

FWIW, I can't see larger versions of the photos without having a MySpace account. Lots of us in the 30+ crowd (those of us not in bands anyway <g>) don't bother with MySpace.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brown
    FWIW, I can't see larger versions of the photos without having a MySpace account. Lots of us in the 30+ crowd (those of us not in bands anyway <g>) don't bother with MySpace.

Pete
    Ditto. Why not just post directly to the Creek. That way, if your MySpace account goes south, the pictures don't.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Reasons why EVERYTHING takes longer for me...
    1. I have to find and put on my glasses more often.
    2. Coffee doesn't last as long...the older folk know what I mean.
    3. My bad back and knees don't let me stay in the shop as long.
    4. I can't remember what I was doing so I rearrange things.
    5. I forget where I put the things I rearranged last time.

Actually I think it's all about learning to enjoy what your doing...more than just doing.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo
    Reasons why EVERYTHING takes longer for me...
    1. I have to find and put on my glasses more often.
    2. Coffee doesn't last as long...the older folk know what I mean.
    3. My bad back and knees don't let me stay in the shop as long.
    4. I can't remember what I was doing so I rearrange things.
    5. I forget where I put the things I rearranged last time.
    Now, where did I put that _______?

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

My projects take longer because I
    (1) spend more time just piddling in the shop
    (2) get pickier and so I'm more critical of my work at each step.
    Eric in Denver

There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

"Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsman can hide his mistakes." --Author unknown

My projects take longer because as I get older, I make other commitments, temporarilly forgetting my previous project committments.

Oh well, at least I'm busy!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird
    Ditto. Why not just post directly to the Creek. That way, if your MySpace account goes south, the pictures don't.

Nancy
    Agreed. When you post your pics directly to SMC, they will always be part of your post no matter what happens to your MySpace account.

Projects taking longer than expected? Sure, all the time. So far, I'm only about 4 years behind.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Wong
    My projects take longer because I
    (1) spend more time just piddling in the shop
    (2) get pickier and so I'm more critical of my work at each step.
    I agree with Eric......I love to piddle! I try to never get in a hurry with my projects. (there a few exceptions) I don't make a living in my shop like some of you guys & gals do so when I'm out in the shop I just take my time and enjoy whatever it is I happen to be "working" (read piddling ) on.

I've been piddling on and off for about a year and a half now building a F-style mandolin from scratch!!.....not gonna make any money or achieve any fame that way but I'm a having fun......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

I also agree with Eric. Piddling is my middle name! I definitely stare at things alot longer and do alot of "overthinking". Is that a 30 something prerequisite???

So yes, they take longer for me too, but I truly feel I am do things better than 10 years ago, and that justifies the slower pace. I still can't get my wife to understand that . Hmmmm..................

Dave
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Jason,

My tendency is the same, to be a perfectionist. Something has helped me reverse that course...

My most recent piece is used (and abused) on a daily basis, in our family room. My 1, 3 and 7 year old kids use my cabriole stool to build forts with, to jump off of, you name it. It's already got quite a few "character dings." This was actually quite liberating. In fact, I think that furniture that gets well used and appreciated by loved ones, is the way it ought to be. Granted, some pieces you'd like to keep on a special shelf, protected from wear and tear.

When I was putting the finish on this piece, I would sand out the slightest dust nib, or other imperfection. When I was done with the piece, it had close to 20 coats in all, including oil and wipe on poly.

Now, I realize that those tiny imperfections were small compared to the dings it gets from daily life. On the next piece, I'm not going to sweat the small stuff. In fact, the character and charm of a hand-made dovetail partially comes from it's imperfections.

Todd

Seem "my stuff" takes forever. But my wife's must be done immediately and sooner, if at all possible. "Aren't you going to finish the cieling" as I'm just laying the floor---sheeeesh.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day