Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: should I sell my radial arm saw?

should I sell my radial arm saw?

I recently purchased a Sawstop table saw. I was telling the sales guy that the size of the saw eats up valuable shop space. He said he would get rid of the radial arm saw to save space. He said it will no longer be needed as crosscutting on the table saw is much more accurate anyway. What do you all think of that?

I think he's absolutely right.

Since you already have one and have been using it, I would keep it. Even though cross cutting on the TS can be done, its easier with longer lumber on the RAS. As far a accuracy goes, usually the miter guage that is supplied with the TS leaves a lot to be desired and needs to be replaced with a good after market one. If you can squeeze the RAS in keep it.

Mark,
    Many a time I wished I had a RAS. It has its place and if you do many cuts on long lumber you will see what I am talking about. You have to make the decision based on what your future needs may be.
    David B

Ras

I have had a RAS for almost as long as I have been woodworking. It is much more accurate and easier to use when crosscutting than the miter gauge on my TS. I won't give it up as long as I have the space.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Saberniak
    He said it will no longer be needed as crosscutting on the table saw is much more accurate anyway. What do you all think of that?
    Depends on a lot of things. Is the RAS accurate?? Do you reduce a lot of long stock?
    When cross cutting long stock on a TS there is tendency for the stock to stutter as you move it forward. In the RAS this is eliminated. The RAS is also a table of sorts depending on how you have it set up.

I'm agreeing with John. My $70 auction bought Rockwell RAS is one of my favorite tools. Properly tuned, it is far more accurate and easy to use for simple crosscutting than any table saw. Especially for long boards.

Plus, with the undeserved reputation that RAS have for being dangerous, you'd probably not get what you want for your old one anyway.

Don't get rid of the RAS

It depends on the make, model and quality of the RAS. I have an old Dewalt made in the 40's. I marvel at the smoothness and power of the machine each time I use. I actually feel safer with the RAS than I do with my table saw. Don't sell your saw short. You can do more things than just crosscut. People haven't been trained to use them. Think twice before you get rid of it.

After I bought my table saw, my RAS became a place to pile junk. To cut long stock I use a guide and a circular saw. Ditch the clunker and use the liberated floor space for another more useful machine....just my $0.02
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Blog Entries
    If you are crowded I would consider letting it go but that's me. Only you know how often you cross cut long and wide boards. In that capacity the RAS is great. A x-cut sled or sleds can make your TS very workable and wayyyy more accurate than almost any RAS I've seen.

No offense to RAS fans, I used to have one and I'm sure there are many high quality RAS out there. My old Craftsman wasn’t one of them and was not worth trying to keep tuned so I moved in another direction.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

if you have the space and the saw is a quality rockwell or dewalt, I would keep it
    lou

I have a DeWalt 7749

and don't use it a lot, but it is my preferred tool for certain things. One is crosscutting long lumber. Another is dados and half lap joints on long stock. I made a couple kinda sorta torsion box assembly tables and used vertical half lap type joints for the 1 X 3 bed. I can't imagine another tool that would have made as clean 5/8" X 1 1/2" notches in 6' long stock. Same with half lap joints on the end of long frame members. A router would work but a RAS with a dado head is quicker and easier. The biggest downside for me is having to clean the clutter off the table before I can use it

Curt

Hate to say it, but he is right. Space in my shop's premium. That's why I'm selling mine. I might just give it to my friend next door.
    Ron In Clanton, Alabama

Shoot amongst us boy, one of us has got to have some relief!

I have a 80's era Craftsman, which falls out of alignment 15 minutes after I set it up, and use only for non-critical cutoffs of rough lumber lengths. I'd toss that in a second but its too much trouble to move out of the shop.

Now, I did pick up a 1953 vintage (year of my birth) Dewalt 9" MBC 1/2 HP RAS, and spent some time restoring it to working order, and boy, what a great saw, and I'd never think of getting rid of it. As opposed to the Craftsman, it never, never falls out of alignment and is dead on. The only issue is the 9" blade, I settled for an 8 1/2" blade sold by Hitachi.

If you can afford the room, I'd keep it. In addition to the cross-cutting ease mentioned by others, I find it easier to cross cut several pieces to length, especially if they are long pieces. I also like the ability to put a dado blade on to make bridle joints and cross-cut dados from above. All in all, I'm glad I've kept the thing around.

Greg