Thread: Simple SketchUp question

Simple SketchUp question

I couldn't find an answer to this with a web search, and I thought posting here might be quicker than digging through the literature.
    So, how does one change the default paint color (in this case, to a wood texture)? I'm sure it must be very simple, but I can't seem to figure it out.
    Thanks,

Jesse, I think that in SU6 this would be changed in the default styles window. I just downloaded the new version the other day and I think that this would be the place to do it, if it can be done. - Rob

Thanks Rob. You were right about using the styles window. You have to create your own 'style', and apply it to the model. In the free version it could all be done with the colors options in the model info window, but it seems that in the pro version that whole subcategory isn't even there, which is what was confusing me. However, I couldn't change the default paint to a texture like I wanted to, only to a solid color.
    If there is a way to change the default to a texture/material and anyone knows how, I'd appreciate your input. Or if anyone knows beyond the shadow of a doubt that it can't be done, please let me know so I don't waste any more time trying to figure it out!
    Thanks,

Jesse, I'm going to suggest to you that you consider not defaulting a color to a texture. It greatly increases the size of your files and the rendering can effectively slow your computer if things get complex. Textures can also interfere with your own view of details as you are drawing. I find it's better to apply any textures after the work is done.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...