Thread: Float a Moak

Rob Will Guest

Float a Moak

Just a reminder to those interested, we are currently working on air cushion pads to float the 36" (2500 lb.) Moak bandsaw. The purpose is to allow the saw to pivot 90 degrees when bulky items need to be cut. Otherwise the saw stays flat against the wall to conserve floor space.

The backing plates for the air casters is fabricated from a piece of 1/2" steel plate that I dug out of the barn. Will try to post some pics tomorrow.

Today we did a trial run on one side of the saw and the air pads picked it up with no problem! Looks like this is going to work really well. I'll keep you posted.

Rob

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=50900

http://solvinginc.com/air_film_technology.htm

That is really cool Rob,

About, I dunno 10 years ago, on the back page of Fine Wood Working

or Fine Home Building, I think the latter, these guys did that to

two large lagunas so they could intricately scroll down some huge beams for a house.

Back then, it was a how did they do that moment.

At least for me.

Best of luck.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Cool!! As you know I'm anxiously waiting to see how you put it together. I'd love to do the same with my Tanny.

How much air were the pucks consuming on your test?
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

I toured a couple mobile home factories a few years ago. The air cushions is how they maneuver the mobile homes down the assembly lines. I was very impressed to see a 16 x 80 unit moving across the floor with the greatest of ease.

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simmeth
    Cool!! As you know I'm anxiously waiting to see how you put it together. I'd love to do the same with my Tanny.
    How much air were the pucks consuming on your test?
    Hey Bill,
    You're not going to believe this. The 2 air casters that we tried were being fed by a single 1/4" regulator and a 50' 1/4" air hose w/ quick couplers. It took the compressor a couple of minutes before it ever kicked on (80 gal tank). The noise level was about like a small air hose leak or a leaky quick coupler. My general impression was that it did not take nearly as much air as the literature suggests - providing the floor is smooth and well sealed.
    Rob

Rob, that's awesome! Pics, man, pics!
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

If you haven't seen this, it's impressive. I saw the demo at the Detroit woodworking show:

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/10824_929.html

Scott, yes, General's Hoverpad was discussed in Rob's earlier thread (link above). However, the two versions of it are only rated at 600 lbs and 1200 lbs. The machines Rob and I are wanting to mobilize are up at 3000 lbs. Also, these old band saws have their weight concentrated on two relatively small casting sections. This isn't quite compatible with the "floating mat" concept and requires a different lift strategy.
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Rob Will Guest

Pics

Well.........there's always a few bumps in the road and this project has hit one, at least for tonight.

We got all four air casters mounted under the Moak and quickly discovered that we needed four individual air regulators (without them the saw was oscilating back and forth). A quick trip to the BORG provided the necessary components.

The regulators improved the situation but the saw still tried to oscilate front to rear. At times it even tries to jump up and down! I'll bet this is the only bandsaw on SMC that can hop up and down with the electrical power turned off. Unfortunately, a hopping 2500 lb. bandsaw was not what I was trying to accomplish.

I intend to pivot this saw 90 degrees about a structural building post. There will be a pivot point somewhere near the floor. It appears that the front to rear oscilation can be controlled by a 2nd hinge point somewhere higher up on the machine.

Air flow requirement is still a bright spot. It only takes about 17 psi and very little flow to "FLOAT THE MOAK"

Here's the pics:
    1.)Pressure regulators w/ 1/4" push-lock fittings and tubing to each caster. Main air line is now 1/2".
    2.)Bottom of air casters mounted to 1/2" steel plate. Note UHMW skids at ends for extra stability when parked.
    3.)Top of steel plate. Note 1/4" air fittings TIG welded to edge of steel plate. The plate was cross drilled at this point for air passage.
    4.)Air caster assembly positioned under one end of saw (the protruding bolts/nuts will be replaced with a threaded plate).

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rob Will; 02-25-2007 at 9:40 PM.

Ok, Will...this amazing feat REQUIRES you to use both your timer on the camera to catch "the shot" as well as a short video of you floating that Moak!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very interesting. Maybe a slight weight imbalance causes the opposing pucks to momentarily lose the air cushion setting of an oscillation of sorts. Sounds like the low-riders would love it!

Becker is right -- we need a video!
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA