Thread: Finished Xmas presents

Finished Xmas presents

Well, finished in the shop 3 1/2 out of 5 Xmas presents. We leave for Wisconsin in about a week, and there's no time left, so...we're done! It's the first projects I've posted so be kind...

The only one I didn't get finished was a standing mirror for my wife. She'll get it for her Birthday early next year.

First - a podium for a friend, school teacher. It's basically done. They are going to finish it, but I'm going to cut out a script 'T' out of walnut and glue it to the front. I think I would have made it bigger, but this is what she wanted.

2nd pic is a craddle for my little girl's doll...actually it's 'Tad' the talking Frog. But she loves the thing. She'll love it! She's only 2 and has seen me making it and wanting to play w/ it. It's out of pine so she can haul it around easily enough.

3rd is the 'good project'. Never did bent laminate before, but it turned out well. I'm quite happy w/ the results. It's pecan and black walnut. For mom...she'll love it. When it was finished, my wife officially put in her request for one

And the final pic/project is for 'me'...it's not finished...just didn't get the time to work on it. Yes, it's a cyclone. I've been working on in since July...July?? What's taking so long! Well, it's the project that always falls to the bottom of the list, and the 'top of the list' project is a little boy who was born in July...and he's been quite demanding He's the one in the corner. But I don't mind at all. It could take a year and I wouldn't care as long as I get to spend the time w/ Daniel.

Enjoy - and good luck on your Xmas projects. I look forward to seeing them.

Perry
    Attached Images Attached Images

All your projects are great looking. I really like the craddle and Daniel, he is very cute. (handsome)!! Have fun with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Schmidt
    Well, finished in the shop 3 1/2 out of 5 Xmas presents. We leave for Wisconsin in about a week, and there's no time left, so...we're done! It's the first projects I've posted so be kind...

The only one I didn't get finished was a standing mirror for my wife. She'll get it for her Birthday early next year.

First - a podium for a friend, school teacher. It's basically done. They are going to finish it, but I'm going to cut out a script 'T' out of walnut and glue it to the front. I think I would have made it bigger, but this is what she wanted.

2nd pic is a craddle for my little girl's doll...actually it's 'Tad' the talking Frog. But she loves the thing. She'll love it! She's only 2 and has seen me making it and wanting to play w/ it. It's out of pine so she can haul it around easily enough.

3rd is the 'good project'. Never did bent laminate before, but it turned out well. I'm quite happy w/ the results. It's pecan and black walnut. For mom...she'll love it. When it was finished, my wife officially put in her request for one

And the final pic/project is for 'me'...it's not finished...just didn't get the time to work on it. Yes, it's a cyclone. I've been working on in since July...July?? What's taking so long! Well, it's the project that always falls to the bottom of the list, and the 'top of the list' project is a little boy who was born in July...and he's been quite demanding He's the one in the corner. But I don't mind at all. It could take a year and I wouldn't care as long as I get to spend the time w/ Daniel.

Enjoy - and good luck on your Xmas projects. I look forward to seeing them.

Perry

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Beautiful work Perry, I especially like the detail work on the cyclone
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Perry, excellent work. There are going to be some very happy people at Christmas. I especially like the bent laminate shelf (plant stand?). Thanks for sharing.

Be well,

Doc

Perry,

What strikes me is the wide range of skills your projects represent - case work, furniture, bent work and metal work - impressive! And that's just what you pictured.
    I think everyone will be thrilled with their presents - especially the time you spend with your new "little man" - though he won't really appreciate it until he becomes a dad as well. I'm sure your wife won't mind getting a late present.

A question on your stand - did you steam bend it, or dry bend? Also, what adhesive did you use? I would like to do some bent work myself, but haven't found the time or project yet.

Wes

you put off that your cyclone too long your son can help you build it,,,,,
    Mike

Thumbs up

Nice work Perry. The woodworking's pretty good too! Seriously, very nice projects. I have to agree, I like the plant stand. I'm going to have to try some bent laminations one of these days. Daniel definately looks like a keeper.

Bob

Thanks for all the positive comments!

Wes: Did the bent laminate ala David Marks. Made the form out of MDF, cut 8 strips to 3/32nd wide, used 3 pecan/2 walnut/3 pecan. And used the Plastic resin glue. You really need that long open working time. The glue was hard to find. Eventually found it at a BIG local hardware store. But was quite surprised that Rockler nor Woodcraft carried it. Although Woodcraft store here said they've had a lot of requests for it lately. But DAP is the only manufacturer I could find that makes it. I find it funny that it's labelled as being known to cause cancer in California...good thing I'm not in California!!

Don: Yup - a plant stand.

Julie: Peggy (my wife) always says 'cute' too. I tell her 'Girls are cute, boys are ruggedly handsome!!' But yea, he's definitely a charmer. I see so many comments about 'folks' regretting not spending enough time w/ their kids. (Terry H. comes immediately to mind.) Well, it does cut deeply into my WWorking time, but I'm trying to take that advise. And so far, I've never regretted the 'less WWorking time'.

Again, thanks for all the positive feedback.

Perry

Blog Entries

Don't put it off too long

Nice work on all the items. They look really great.

Get that cyclone made. You won't believe how much time it will save you in dust cleanup on the next project.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Perry, I tried to find Weldwood (DAP) Resorcinol glue here last summer. It is outlawed in Texas believe it or not. I did get it mail ordered from a Washington state outfit though. I made an outdoor swing out of Oak and I didn't want it coming apart. I used to make boats with that stuff and it is bullet proof outside. It outgasses some bad stuff while curing. I had a trucker tell me he had to detour around Texas to deliver some of that a few years ago. They do still make it and used properly it won't hurt you.