Thread: First SMC Post--Wife's Christmas

Smile First SMC Post--Wife's Christmas

This is my first SMC post. I have been a lurker for a while. I read WC and SMC almost daily. I even met a couple of you at Steve Jenkin's BBQ. My brother and I were the cooks!

Below is a series of pictures displaying the most complicated project I have ever completed. It was a long, joyful journey. I learned much!

As for firsts, they were. First use of Pecan. First use of shellac & wax finish (Thanks for the tips Dave Anderson). First use of knife hinges. First project of primarily curved surfaces. First real use of hand planes (LV LA Smoother, and LV LA Block). First hand cut dovetails, both through and half blind. First nervous in the gut feeling that I could really screw up the last drawer and have to start all over again!

As for details, the top, bottom, pulls, and verticals are walnut, the drawer fronts, back panel, and two side doors are pecan, and the drawer internals and dividers are spanish cedar.

Thank you for letting me share.

Regards,
    Stokes

PS. Sorry for the picture quality. I am still working on ideal picture conditions. On the other hand, it does a good job of hiding my mistakes!

PPS. I drew inspiration from one of the Krenov books--can not remember the exact name at the moment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

good grief

wow - the walnut/pecan play is really sharp. i can't even begin to imagine how the curvy stuff was done. exceptional work. more info, plz.

b

Stokes, nothing like popping out from the lurkers status with something like that. Amazing piece. I too like the walnut/pecan contrast very beautiful. Did you make the curve doors with an angled glue up? If so, what was the angle and what did you use to smooth things out? Thanks for sharing the pic.

Be well,

Doc

Great work. I really like it. I'm especially impressed with the grain on the drawers.

Great work Steve

While I'm more of a 18th century furniture kind of guy, that beautiful piece could almost make me change my mind. The work is exquisite. The curved front is very well done.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Talking Thank You!

Thank you all for your kind words! You can only imagine how your response has boosted my confidence.

Regards,
    Stokes

PS. I will be working to put together a write up that will go into more details on how it was constructed.

Thumbs up

I am very impressed!!! Look forward to your description of its construction.

Jeff

I agree with all the responses that you recieved. Would love to know how you handled all the curves.

Dave