Thread: Finial Help

Finial Help

I finished this HF last night as well as the finial. Ambrosia Maple with black dyed Poplar finial.

This is my first finial so I wasn't sure of the shape. This is what I ended up with and there is something about it I'm not happy with. I think it might be the large diameter of the upper convex section.

It's not glued in so I can make another, or several others, if necessary.

Let me know your opinions.

Sorry about the horrible picture, the camera is broken.

Thanks
    bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Opsitos
    This is my first finial so I wasn't sure of the shape. This is what I ended up with and there is something about it I'm not happy with. I think it might be the large diameter of the upper convex section.
    Bob, I think you've made a perfect assessment. The form is excellent and the shape of the finial is great too, but I agree that the finial would look better if the upper portion were a smaller diameter.

Looks good Bob. The upper 2/3's I would have made smaller. I do like the form of the finial. Nice job on both.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bob, I think finials are the most difficult thing to turn. Doing a big hollow form is easy until you get to the point of adding a lid and finial. It drives me crazy and I'm not very good at it. All that being said there are a couple of things that I have learned (or at least tried to). The first is that the finial should flow from the piece. Another is that finials seem to work better (visually anyway) if the are more delicate. Last is the height proportion to the piece. The design of the finial I don't think matters as long as it meets the above three things. I think your design is fine. I think your height proportions are fine. I think if you reversed your curve where it attaches to the piece and thinned it down you will have a winner.

Sorry I rambled on so, as I usually don't.....
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

I have the exact problem you're having Bill. When the finial is on the lathe...it looks ok to me, then when I put it on the piece, it either doesn't flow well or it's a little fat....or usually both!! I hope to learn from these guys. Keith's advice seems pretty sound.

My next finial...I'm going to take a drawing and lay it on the ways. Then shine a light from above so it casts a shadow on the paper. Then turn to match the drawing...ala Ken Fitzgerald. We'll see what happens then. Hopefully, I'll get it down so I don't need that crutch after a while.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson