Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone drilled into Bies?

Has anyone drilled into Bies?

I have read in the past that some people drill into their Biesemeyer fence in order to be able to mount an auxiliary fence(s). Has anyone done something like this?

No but I've thought about it . I don't suppose that's any help, though.
    Eric in Denver

There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

"Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsman can hide his mistakes." --Author unknown

I know that people have done it, but there are viable alternatives. A combination of rare earth magnets, friction, and a physical L-stop should do the trick too.

Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Alex, I had the same thought but solved it in a different way. Make a box out of mdf or plywood that fits over the Bies. On the end where the handle is located you will have to make a cut out to allow for the up and down motion of the locking handle. The box which I made is a snug fit and serves as my sacraficial fence. and can be adapted for auxillary uses. Good Luck, Ed

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I drilled & tapped mine for some home made Board Buddy mounts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Alex,

I use 3 of these Festool clamps to attach my aux fences. Just take your aux fence and drill three, 1/2 in holes into the edge. The end of these clamps fit into the holes and then you just adjust the clamps. This can also be used for stop blocks. Heres what the clamps look like so you hopefully can visualize what I'm describing.

~mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

I drill and tapped some holes for my Board Buddies....from the top.

Gary K.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer
    I know that people have done it, but there are viable alternatives. A combination of rare earth magnets, friction, and a physical L-stop should do the trick too.
    Scott,
    I do remember seeing your invention in the magazine... pretty slick!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    I drilled & tapped mine for some home made Board Buddy mounts.
    Bruce,
    I was talking about drilling into the side and through the fence itself... but the same idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Berkovsky
    Bruce,
    I was talking about drilling into the side and through the fence itself... but the same idea.
    Same difference, just a different “side”.
    Wasn’t sure if you were looking for drill & tap info, or what. It's been a long day.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    Same difference, just a different “side”.
    Wasn’t sure if you were looking for drill & tap info, or what. It's been a long day.
    Warning: Do not post to the Creek or operate heavy machinery when excessively tired or under the influence of alcohol.

Eric in Denver

There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

"Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsman can hide his mistakes." --Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Wong
    Warning: Do not post to the Creek or operate heavy machinery when excessively tired or under the influence of alcohol.

Yeah, I should've read the OP 3 times!

Andy Rooney

I cheerfully drilled and tapped two holes in the top of the Xacta fence on my previous saw...a la Jim Tolpin's Table Saw Magic. It doesn't harm the fence one iota and increases the versatility of the thing many times over. Go for it! But have a plan so that you can easily create multiple auxiliary accessories for it. The book I mentioned is a good reference for that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used self-tapping sheet metal screws to attach the melamine strip between the 2 sides of the Beisemeyer. It doesn't hurt the fence but makes it much more versitile.

I attach a cut-off block, board buddies, and an aux fence with the t-track.

Dan

Dan, Great job on that accommodation!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wilt
    I used self-tapping sheet metal screws to attach the melamine strip between the 2 sides of the Beisemeyer. It doesn't hurt the fence but makes it much more versitile.
    I attach a cut-off block, board buddies, and an aux fence with the t-track.

Dan
    Dan,

Thanks!!

I have been thinking of just such a set-up for years. Now I know it can be done. This is now near the top of my spring project list!
    I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture. - Frank Lloyd Wright

I have been black and blue and bloody in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts while building my own furniture. - Rennie Heuer