Thread: Very stupid bandsaw blade question

Very stupid bandsaw blade question

I'm a little embarassed to ask this, but I have a bandsaw that I made a riser for. It had 80" blades on it, and I put a 1 1/2" riser under it, so now what size blades do I order? I need to call Timberwolf in the A.M. and want to have everything ready. I think I know the answer, but I'll see if I'm right or not. (I've never ever been a math person! Radiuses and fractions and the like scare the heck out of me! )

p.s. The stock blades are way short, even adjusted all the way down.

80 + 2x1.5 = 83"

Thanks, Jim. That's what I guessed it would be, just needed reassurance! I figured 1.5" up and 1.5" back down...not really mathmatically correct, but it seemed to work. Thanks again.

Lightbulb

I'm no mathematician either, but this doesn't sound right. I have a suggestion. Rap a string around the two wheels and measure it. See what you get.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

84", with the top wheel set at the halfway point as far as tension goes. So I'm assuming that either 83" or 84" will work, being as though the Timberwolf's work under lower tension? Makes sense to me, I'll ask them to be on the safe side I reckon.

Dan Bussiere Guest
    Joe,
    There are no stupid band saw questions! Come to think of it there are no stupid table saw questions or.........

Dan

Boy, and I was hoping this really was a stupid question about a woodworking tool.. I wanted to see what one of those was like!
    I can safely assure you that there have been many others before you with this question.
    I'll bet that if you give the folks at Timber Wolf the information in your post, they will know the blade you need. I do like the string idea mentioned earlier though.

Good luck, and enjoy your new Timber Wolf blades! If you have not used them before, you are in for a real treat.
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Thanks, Tom. I took off Timberwolf's, and couldn't agree more, they are top notch blades! This is a Crapsman bandsaw that I really regret buying, just wanted to get a little more height out of it to resaw bigger pieces. This gives me close to, get ready, 7 inches to saw! I know, lot's of you are probably jealous, but please try to contain your resentment!!!!! Seriously though, this is an ok saw for small fret work, but the Timberwolf blades make it even better! I appreciate the help guys.

I have a 12" Craftsman saw that works great. With Timber Wolf blades there is no blade drift, no offset fences or anything, just straight cuts.
    I don't have the vertical capacity of some, but so far it has fit my needs well.
    I'm glad it worked out for you! No go make something!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Suelter
    Thanks, Tom. I took off Timberwolf's, and couldn't agree more, they are top notch blades! This is a Crapsman bandsaw that I really regret buying, just wanted to get a little more height out of it to resaw bigger pieces. This gives me close to, get ready, 7 inches to saw! I know, lot's of you are probably jealous, but please try to contain your resentment!!!!! Seriously though, this is an ok saw for small fret work, but the Timberwolf blades make it even better! I appreciate the help guys.
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"