Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom Dust Collection Pipe Hangers

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Weber
    Some people have hobbies. Mine is building stuff. I enjoy doing it. That is why I built the hangers that way. Yes, I could have bought some strapping and nails, but I didn't.

I checked over some of Wayne's previous posts. It appears that his hobby is spreading his bitterness on the Internet. I quote, from some of his recent posts...

"LOL big whoop.......LOL"
    "that stand puts the TV much too high for comfortable viewing."
    "sorry....but the stair rail dont look safe to use"

IMHO, wasting my time being unecessarily bitter to others = 0. Sorry that I offended somebody by improperly mismanaging my spare time. Please attach a list of what is "necessary" so that I do not make that mistake again.

Keith
    Keith, here's my list;
    1) do what's fun as this is supposed to be a fun hobby

Sour

Quote Originally Posted by wayne ateser
    Sometimes its the journey, but Id rather travel down the road of beautiful functional furniture then pipe hangers.
    For you that works. For other folks, building tools and doing other things are part of their list of hobbies.

I personally hate spending time building jigs. However, there are tons of books and several articles a month on that very topic. I put down thw work of others who like to build them, though.

To quote someone on my model railroading lists (another of my hobbies) "If you're having fun, you must be doing something right." I hope your comments don't discourage Keith or others from posting their work in the future.

Pete

I want to not waste my time building unecessary things and focus on the important and benefical things. benefit of gold plated duct hangers vs metal strapping and 2 nails = 0.
    Some people have hobbies. Mine is building stuff. I enjoy doing it. That is why I built the hangers that way. Yes, I could have bought some strapping and nails, but I didn't……..Keith
    Keith, I admire those clamps… nice work, even if you powder coat them white and don’t gold plate them, they look like they will be a nice component in your beautiful shop.

I used to weld a lot… mild steel, stainless steel, and aluminum. The stainless welding I did was MIG for pressure vessels. I took a course at a community college to learn TIG stainless… and I could not get the hang of it!!! Glad to see someone who does post here!

Wayne, is not the joy one experiences in creating an environment important? Do you mow the lawn, pick up fallen branches near your house, comb your hair or otherwise tend to your appearance? Have you any values that another might consider frivolous and not productive of the forms they feel are functional? I too, make judgments about other’s use of resources, but I differentiate between those that I see as purely self indulgent (i.e. driving SUV to quickie stop to buy lotto ticket release from reality), and those activities where one is exploring one’s ability to create objects useful in one’s life.

Perhaps, Wayne, if you would take the time to elaborate upon your philosophy, we would be better able to hear your voice as coming from somewhere other than under the bridge, and benefit from your wisdom.

I checked over some of Wayne's previous posts. It appears that his hobby is spreading his bitterness on the Internet.
    Right on the money Keith. I just finished doing the same persuing prior to seeing your post here..........and I arrived at the same conclusion.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Wayne Asteser has been politely asked on more than one thread to elaborate on his views, yet he remains entrenched in his position of brief slights against posters. I suggest that he be removed from the membership of SMC because he is a troll.

I want to not waste my time building unecessary things and focus on the important and benefical things. benefit of gold plated duct hangers vs metal strapping and 2 nails = 0.
    Not to continue an on going debate, but that is where I, like many others here differ from you. My journey is not based on what I can have, or the time it takes to get there, but the feeling of self accomplishment.

I used to build street rods for many years, I had more enjoyment hunting down the parts than I did in the completed project, the thrill of the hunt. It's the same with building things, it's not so much the end product as it is the learning of the build and learning of the skills to get it completed.

The desire to build things has nothing to do with time and money, it's creative. It's what we want to do, not what we have to do. If you are looking at it from the stand point of time and effort, then you are in the wrong hobbie and you'll never achieve what we have and we can never explain to you what it is we are striving for, you'll never understand.

That is why we come here, most of the people here know and understand what it is inside us that makes us want to do things such as build elaborate duct work braces.

I have lots of freinds that come by the shop, most just to see what it is that I'm up too for the day. I call them friends because they know who I am and respect what ever I'm doing. That respect is a two way street, learn it and you'll be a much happier person.

Wayne's self-professed gee-netic superiority (SawStop post) apparently didn't extend to his grammar and spelling.

I question whether he makes any "journey" other than that to his keyboard to troll SMC.

Congrats Wayne, I think you are the only troll I've ever noticed here at SMC.

JH

Keith W,

In a former life I was a power plant piping inspector, both nukes and fossil. I have seen my share of tig welding, got my AWS CWI and ASNT Level III Visual, Radiography Level II, MT Level II, PT Level II, UT Level II, etc. I own an old Miller stick welder and a small Hobart mig machine and really enjoy designing/welding my own projects.

I like your design and the quality of your metal fabricating work, keep em coming

Thanks,
    Keith O

Nice work on the supports. I welded on jet engine parts, cobalt based alloy, nickel, inconell, and some stainless. I have not picked up a torch in a while but do have a Miller Maxstar 152 Tig with Snap Start, but no bottle, on the list of things to do. When I trained I would show off… I mean demonstrate technique by butting up the sharp edge of two razor blades (case cutter type) and weld them together, with no blow out (holes).
    Woodworking took over, but I would like to get the welders (I also have an arc welder) set back up. It is very handy having welding capability.
    I think woodworking and certain metalworking compliment each other well.
    I know it was here a minute ago ???

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Miller
    Wouldn't that be cutting the flow back too much
    Jeff,

Your right, I missed the mark on this one since the 3" isn't in the plan

Joe,

What tool are you using for bending the strap?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    Joe,

What tool are you using for bending the strap?

Keith O.,

If that question was meant for me, I used what is called a ring roller. I ordered it on eBay for about $150 including the shipping. It bends the metal by squeezing it between 3 rollers.

Keith W.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Keith W.

Thats the rig I have been looking for, I own several scroll benders and a parts bender. One will roll flat bar but it leaves knurl marks on the strap and is limited to small size strap. My parts bender won't roll large diameters without a form.

What is the capacity of the roller and how can i find it?

I think I found it...$89.99 and will roll 3/8" thick by 2" wide flat bar. Made by Proline Parts. The shipping price is brutal

Thanks,
    Keith O.

[quote=I have a question, anyone know how Titanium is welded? [/quote]

Titanium is welded with the TIG process. However, I know why no one wanted to weld it for you. Titanium must be welded in a chamber filled with Argon. The chamber has sealed glove holes so that you can get your hands in it and do the weld. Titanium will weaken if it comes in contact with oxygen when it is near the melting point.
    Tipp City, Ohio

Keith O.

That's the one! Same seller! The shipping is huge, but I found that overall, the total price with shipping was less than I could have found one locally. It's not the best-built tool in my collection. Typical Made-in-China quality, but it does what it is supposed to. There is a company called Shop Outfitters that makes a better-built, but similar unit in America, but the price is in excess of $700. For the few times that I'd need it, the Chinese version offers good bang for the buck. I couldn't justify the $700+ myself. The jack came loose in the box and got damaged in shipping, but it still functioned. The seller and I agreed to a $20 credit for the damage.

The specs listed said that the minimum diameter was 8". I needed less than that for my hangers, but the roller was the closest that I could find to handle the job. I planned on manufacturing new side plates to bring the bottom two rollers closer together, but it turned out that I didn't need to. Maybe the minimum diameter would be 8" with a 2" x 3/8" flat bar, but with the 1" x 1/4", it easily rolled to a much less diameter. It rolled to 6" without hitting the limit on the jack. I actually had to pull a couple of the rings apart to get the diameter that I was looking for.

It rolled the 1" x 1/4" stock like it was nothing. I haven't tried anything bigger.

Keith W.

Regarding the Titanium welding:

I used to work for a company that rebuilt jet engines. The blades were made of titanium. The welders didn't use a chamber. The TIG process uses an Argon shield from the torch itself, so Oxygen is kept away from the weld. I suspect that the reason that it was hard to find someone willing to weld Titanium was nothing other than the fact that it was an unknown entity to the average weld shop. It welds like the other metals, but you need titanium filler rods. The average welding shop probably doesn't carry those. The tungstens might be slightly different as well, but the weld process should be the same.

Keith w.