Thread: Jewelry Case Plans needed

Jewelry Case Plans needed

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good plan for a Jewelry Case? I want to build a nice case for my daughter (now 14) out of some beautiful mesquite wood that I have plenty of. I am looking for more than a box, in effect a multi-drawer case with pegs to hang necklaces on or something like this. Thanks for your help!

I dont have plans, but I made this one up in my head. It has two drawers and the top is for hanging necklasses.just an idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

one more pic

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Warren
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a good plan for a Jewelry Case? I want to build a nice case for my daughter (now 14) out of some beautiful mesquite wood that I have plenty of. I am looking for more than a box, in effect a multi-drawer case with pegs to hang necklaces on or something like this. Thanks for your help!
    Gary, I am in the process of finishing a series of 8 jewelry boxes. I researched a ton and decided to build essentially a small chest of drawers. I talked to a lot of ladies and nearly all said that the necklaces on hooks just get tangled and they said they would prefer a system of drawers with adjustable dividers. I found this website;

http://www.westcreekstudio.com/jewel...#ChestsDrawers

and I decided to do something similar. I don't use plans, I just figured out what size would yield best with the wood I wanted to use, and built the carcasses first. I then built the drawers to fit the opening. I did the version with mitered corners and dovetail shaped splines to hold the corners. I'll post pics when they are done. I did a version with 4 drawers, all the same size.

My boxes are similar to this

...joe

Blog Entries
    I think you're after something a little different but, this might give you some ideas. This is wall hung, through-tenons with drawer. Holds LOML's gazillion necklaces, etc.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've only built one...the NYW jewelry box...and I really like it. The only change I made to the construction was to use solid 1/4" stock for the back, rather than plywood. I'm now glad I did that 'cause the back is the side we see due to, umm...needing the drawers to be less accessable to our kids for a long time now. The pictures are when it was brand new back in about 2000 or 2001 (I don't recall the exact date)...the color has evened out over time. One of the fun things about this design is the "secret drawer" in the base...something a 14 year old might actually like!

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guys, you all have real talent that I hope I can master one day. You have given me some great ideas. I will start on this tomorrow and post pictures when I am finished. Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    Here's one I made for my wife. It has lots of drawers and places to hang necklaces.

Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Last edited by Richard McComas; 02-28-2007 at 1:42 PM.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Click here for our version. About 1/3 of the way down the page.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

I built the New Yankee Workshop on as well. Fun project, and the secret compartment is cool (see photo).
    Sam/Atlanta

Gary,

I haven't made one, but I've always kept my eye out for nice designs. I ran accross what was probably a post here on the Creek where a guy had links to jewelery boxes he made for his bride as well as others me made for the bridesmaids. Here's the link to the one for the bride:

http://home.comcast.net/~john_stacy/bridesgift.html

And the page for the bridesmaids:

http://home.comcast.net/~john_stacy/jewelryboxes.html

When I eventually get around to it, I'll probably buy the NYW video and plans, like what Jim has posted. I've never seen the episode, but I found the design on the web site. I like the design, as it seems more practical.

Good luck!

John

What is the size of the NYM jewlery box?

What did you use for the secret drawer guides?

TYIA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Podsedly
    What is the size of the NYM jewlery box?

What did you use for the secret drawer guides?

TYIA
    Jim, according to the web site, it's 13"h x 9"w x 18"l.

Thye runner for the secret compartment is wood. Nothing fancy about it really, except that it's hidden. Sometimes simple is best!
    Sam/Atlanta

Gary.

Some mighty fine work already posted for inspiration.

One more source to look at is the book " The Toolbox Book", by Jim Tolpin.
    Chapter three has examples of "toolboxes" made by the students at the North Bennet Street School, in Boston.
    These toolboxes stopped being toolboxes on the drawing board. They are definitely fine enough to draw a little creative inspiration from.