Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for Power Switches

Source for Power Switches

Does anyone have a good source for power switches like the big old "stop" switch on the sawstop?

I have a magnetic switch from Grizzly on my frankensaw. It's nice, but I find myself fumbling for the stop sometimes as I like to keep my eyes on the blade if my hand is on the table.

I know I can make my own from wood or epoxy something to the existing switch, and I will as a last resort if nothing else is available.

If anyone knows of a source, I'm sure I'll use them on the saw, router table and maybe some other places. I searched around for several days a couple years back and came up dry.

Specs are 2hp, 220v, single phase magnetic.

Thanks.

Pete

Try here. I order from them and always get good service.
    http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=923-978

Hi, with a magnetic starter, you can add as many "Emergency Off" switches as you like to the existing starter.

Simply add as many normally closed switches in series as you want with the original off push button. These switches only have to be rated for the contactor coil voltage (probably 230V) and only need to be rated for pilot duty (a few amperes is fine).

Obviously these switches need to be mounted in properly grounded metal, or plastic enclosures, and all wiring should meet code.

I'd look at surplus places, I often pick up Allen Bradley or Square D stuff for a few dollars.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Darroll Walsh
    Try here. I order from them and always get good service.
    http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=923-978
    Thanks Darrol.

I'm actually looking for the huge button that shows up on some saws. I would have thought that someone would have come up with these as a product.

Pete

Thanks Rod

Pete

I too would be interested in finding something like Pete is looking for. I have a new Grizzly without the magnetic switch but I would like to add a large paddle type off button. Like Pete says it would just be easier to find instead of fumbling for the current off switch. I believe the General has this same type of paddle switch. Anyone seen one?????

Pete, I've seen people add a big stop "paddle" to their existing switch. David Marks (host of Woodworks) has one that. Some make it so there's a foot tread that you can step on to shut the saw off. I'm planning to do something like this on my Unisaw one of these days.

Edit: Here's a link to some pics of Hoa Dinh's solution.
    Another Edit: And here's a link to David Marks' solution.
    Last edited by Sam Chambers; 02-28-2007 at 4:45 PM.
    Sam/Atlanta

Thanks Sam

It sounds like custom is the only real way to go.

I like making furniture, not tools (or enhancements to tools, or jigs), so I always see these types of things as a drain on other time

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brown
    Thanks Sam

It sounds like custom is the only real way to go.

I like making furniture, not tools (or enhancements to tools, or jigs), so I always see these types of things as a drain on other time

Pete
    I hear ya, Pete. But it looks like a pretty simple project that wouldn't take up too much time. Personally, while I'm very impressed with Hoa's design and execution, I'll do something along those same lines, but a lot simpler.
    Sam/Atlanta

It looks like Hoa Dinh didn't like his Incra miter Gauge.

Along the lines of what Rod's suggesting:

A pushbutton like this: http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=11-2705
    and a switch like this: http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=11-2802
    would do the job.

Hey Darroll,

I'm here. So watch what you're saying

I like my Incra miter gauge alright. I just did that to be able to claim that I have the most accurate knee switch in the whole world. It's accurate to 0.01 degree

The real story is that the protractor of my Incra 1000SE had the hole too large for the pivoting bolt (Incra's spec is 0.0005"). I contacted Incra and they were nice enough to send me a new protractor and a new pivoting bolt, personally picked by one of their technicians to make sure they perfectly matched.

Below is a photo of the miter gauge after the surgery.

I didn't know what to do with the old protractor until I figured out that I could use it for the knee switch. In the photo below, you can see the pivoting bolt attached to the protractor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

LOL! I didn't realize that until I zoomed in. That is one way to kill your miter gauge. Maybe I'll do that with my Kreg

Pete

Pete, you can add a remote stop easily. You could just add it to the box by cutting a 22mm hole or put in a whole new remote station depending on what you want. https://www.c3controls.com has decent prices and the customer support staff was very helpful when I was building the remote station for the VFD on my lathe.

How about this for a shut-off switch ...

Here's what I added to my Grizzly cabinet saw. I also have one mounted on my router table and I'm considering adding one to my jointer. They are not necessarily cheap. The switches are available from ReiTech.
    Attached Images Attached Images