Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A box for my dad's beam compass

A box for my dad's beam compass

My dad only left me a few drafting tools (he was a structural engineer). One of them was a quite nice beam compass made by Keuffer and Essel of stainless steel. It fits together like the finely made machinery it is and no doubt would draw a nice round circle, although I have not had the need. Still, it sat in this pathetic plastic box made worse by several half hearted tape repair jobs. So, I made a new home for it.

I had a cool piece of 8/4 soft maple with ambrosia stains and wild inconsistent blistery curl that gave me a chance to try my hand at a wooden hinge. I used African Blackwood accents, a piece of aluminum (did not have any stainless around), and black acrylic paint. I kept the bottom from the original 'box' primarily because it reminded me that the K&E Beam Compass' "quality is professional and its price is moderate".

First is the old and new boxes side by side. The new one is on your right.

Next is a shot of the bottom and wooden hinge, followed by the contents.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful work Tom!!

I have some maple that looks similar I hope that I can use it as well as you have .

A fantastic piece of wood like that deserves to be made into something special....

Tom

Beautiful box, well executed and beautiful wood.

I'm building my kitchen cabinets out of that type of maple, but the piece you have is an especially eye-catching piece. I love the swirl of figure on the top

That beam compass definitely has a better home now

Pete

PS. What was your finish? Looks water-based by the overall clarity and the fill in the worm holes. Very nice.

Tom - Beautiful work.....nicely done.... a very satisfying project no doubt!

Wow - that's *really* nice. A wonderful way to preserve your dad's beam compass. I really like the way you inlaid the tools and the wooden hinges.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Tom - Very Impressive Box

And what a fitting tribute to your Dad's gear!

Howard

BTW - care to fill us in on some of the techniques related to the integral hinge?
    Howard Rosenberg

Ausgezeichnet!
    Use the fence Luke

Pete: just a little Bartley's gel varnish. I love that stuff.

Howard: the hinge is simply a brass rod buried in a hole drilled through the side supports and the protruding portion of the lid (the hinge itself). That reads terribly; just drill a starter hole, line up the second piece, and drill through to the other side. Slide in a rod and cap the end.

Doug: Gesundheit

Tom that's just beautiful. Where was that piece of wood when I was by to look at your stack. Hidden I'll bet As it should of been.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Ambrosia and curl. Dang, I need to get back down there.

Very nice job on the box. Probably felt as good as it looks to make it. The hinges are a great touch - I've been meaning to try that.

I think you should turn the next box you make.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Tom, that is an extraordinarily beautiful case for your inherited compass. While I hope you find a need to use it someday (drafting is to CAD as Neander tools are to CAD-CAM), I am glad to see that you revere it so.

That's great Tom, beautiful work!

Corey

Hey Tom

Here is some of the Maple that I was posting about.
    box1.JPGbox2.JPG
    box3.JPGbox4.JPG

this was a " trial and error " project. I won't use the "purple heart" with this combination again . I can't get the pix's to show the figure in the wood. It is very good...

Tom

Hey Tom, That is awesome wood. I know the feeling! You did a nice job wrapping that figure around the corner. What's in it?

Both boxes are beautiful. The wood choice is excellent. I guess one of the main reasons I'm getting back into woodworking is that I love the natural grain patterns and enjoy trying to incorporate them into a project. It's such a relaxing change from our "plastic" world.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps