Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any one know where i can find a online dealer for the canadian built General TS

Any one know where i can find a online dealer for the canadian built General TS

I have another thread going on this subject here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45884

I so far am set on the PM 2000, but wanted one last comparison. How would you rate the Canadian built General 650 along side the PM, and where can I see, and check prices online. I have the money so I want to do one last check.

Heres two more online sources for generals:

www.woodsmithstore.com
    www.wilkemachinery.com

I've never seen a PM 2000 but everything I've heard has been very positive. The riving knife is a nice feature. I have a General 650 and love it. It would be tough to choose between the General, the PM 2000 and the SawStop if I was in the market. Good luck with whatever you decide.

~mark

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wagner
    I have another thread going on this subject here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45884

I so far am set on the PM 2000, but wanted one last comparison. How would you rate the Canadian built General 650 along side the PM, and where can I see, and check prices online. I have the money so I want to do one last check.
    Talked with a dealer about General at the St. Louis WW show. He said only their top end saw could compete with the high end build quality I was asking about - and he did not have one to demo. I think if you want to spend $2100 get the PM2000. Don't look back. You are having trouble finding a saw to buy in the general, imagine if you needed a big part serviced. Find a local dealer and get the PM2000. Maybe try and hit up the 10% off deal at a local woodcraft on 3/3.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I've got a General 650 and am very happy with it. I got it before the PM2000 came out, but I think I would have gone with the 650 anyway -
    'course I've never used a PM2000.

They're both good saws. Follow your gut.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I could sell you mine...

I'm pretty serious about a new Sawstop so I would hvae a General 650 in great condition, ~ 5 yrs old. The distance may be a deal breaker (Im in san jose) but let me know if you want more details.

When I first got into woodworking 10 years ago I bought a king contractors table saw, cause I didn't know any better. I then bought an aftermaket fence and a forrest blade so it worked quite well. But I had to re-align the danm thing almost monthly. In talking to my neighbor ,who was a prolific woodworker (and former shop teacher)he told me he had owned a General cabinet saw for 30 years and despite moving a number of times ,had NEVER had to adjust it.

So I watched the auctions and bought one from a cabinet shop closure. I've now had it for 8 years and have NEVER had to do any adjustments to it. Cuts perfect every time. No need for board buddies etc. Just keep the blades sharp and cuts are always smooth and right on. Not sure how old the saw is but other than needing a new arbor nut, which I lost, Ive not needed any. Oh, I did replace the belts with segmented belts. I think General is the only north american manufacturer (not sure about Sawstop)

Fred Mc.

Many of the Woodcrafts now carry General, as does Tools-Plus, Hartville, Wilke...

This link should help you find a dealer nearest you:
    http://www.general.ca/pagetitre/ang/dist_us.html
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I'm in the market to purchase the General 8'' jointer. I was suprised to find out that you can buy the canadian model for about 3800$ or the made in Taiwan model for about 1800$. When I asked the dealer (légère industrial in Ottawa) what was the difference he could not convince me to spend the extra 2000$. Any comments on this?
    Luc

Honey where did I put.....never mind I found it!

Quote Originally Posted by luc gendron
    I'm in the market to purchase the General 8'' jointer. I was suprised to find out that you can buy the canadian model for about 3800$ or the made in Taiwan model for about 1800$. When I asked the dealer (légère industrial in Ottawa) what was the difference he could not convince me to spend the extra 2000$. Any comments on this?

Hi Luc,

I was a bit like you, but I did buy the 480, bought it used off the Canadian Woodworking web site, paid $1500 Cdn for it. A friend of mine in Ste Lazare Que. bought the 8" GI, loves it...even better with the helical head too.
    Take care,
    Jim

well when looking at the international models at woodcraft, i notice the wheel cranks on it were plastic. that was enough to turn me off.

Hi,

I have a few General's....... , I think know the difference between the GI's and the ones with the beautiful Maple Leaf...

In the end they are a pleasure to own and use.

Lot's of GI owners would say the same.
    Take care,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
    Hi,

I have a few General's....... , I think know the difference between the GI's and the ones with the beautiful Maple Leaf...

In the end they are a pleasure to own and use.

Lot's of GI owners would say the same.
    Well, you may be correct, as I haven't used them. If I may make an observation though. All you equipment, saw, planer, jointer, grinding wheel, Dc, and pssable even your bandsaw, all appear to have the beutifull leaf on them. Your TS in this picture looks way more solid than the GI I saw in person on display.

It's all good though. since it's more difficult to find the Canadian TS in my area, I will get the PM.

thanks to all.

Tim.

You got it, don't for get the lathe in the background either..

Hey, PM's are awesome machines, I have used a few and feel that they are really great machines, I love their floor morticer...but in the end the wood doesn't care...we do...it's a lot do do with reliability and confidence and PM's have that well done too...be sure to let us know when you take delivery!!

That is a home made cyclone, based on the Pentz design, a little green paint and a Maple Leaf, All I need in here is some Maple Syrup, eh!!
    Take care,
    Jim

All I need in here is some Maple Syrup, eh!!
    Did someone say Breakfast?? Maybe I should get all the SMC guys close by and pack them into the picup We can come up and have a huge Pancake and Frenchtoast cookoff, and Work the wood. However, Border patrol may flag us with a pickup full of amaricans, claming to be going to breakfast.