Thread: I should know better...

Angry I should know better...

I finally returned home last night after a long day at approximately 10:30 pm. I was still wide awake (or so I thought) so I figured I would finish up the Filigree Pen I had started Tuesday night (this is the first Fligree pen I have turned). After getting the top turned down for a snug fit of the filigree--it was perfect; and after figuring out how to part down the section of the top to receive the center trim ring (had to use a really small screwdriver--more on this later), I sanded over and over then put a CA finish on the dyed maple burl pen blank. I put a great deal of time in getting a perfect finish on this blank. I wanted it to be my best yet as this was the most I had spent on a single pen kit and blank. Anyway, after finishing all the steps to be completed on the lathe, I was extremely please with the shine.

It was at this point I realized it was 12:15 am but I was determined to get this thing together. Then I realized I left the assembly instructions in my truck and with it being so late, I didn't want to wake the wife up by getting my keys out of the bedroom--that was a very bad decision.

I had studied the instructions yesterday as I was not sure of how to complete a certain step so I thought I would have not problem remembering the steps. Well, I forgot one! I left off the lower trim ring! Now that it is assembled, I can't for the life of me get the assembly apart. I know there is a disassembly tool that Woodcraft sells but I have heard these don't work that well. Any input on how to get the tip out of the tube is welcome. I have already cracked the turned blank trying to get a grip on it but I think I can repair that if I can get the assembly apart.

Also, back to how to part the end of the lower tube... What sort of turning tool would one use to part off 1/16 of an inch against the bushing? Like I said, I sharpened a small screwdriver. While it worked, I'm sure there is a more appropriate way to do this.

Sorry for the rambling but I felt I must explain myself for the stupidity.
    "Intoxicated with unbroken successes, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us." --Abraham Lincoln

You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give.—Winston Churchill

Late at night and tired. Boy, I can relate to that. Some of my best mistakes are made then. Hopefully, I wasn't too tired to remember the lesson.

On your 1/16 inch parting problem....here's what I do. Old printers that no longer have a purpose, contain shafts that run the gears and rollers and stuff. These shafts come in a variety of diameters, but the beauty is, they are all hardened steel. They make great miniature turning tools and allow for an ample handle and plenty of sharpening length.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I've tried to take a couple pens apart. I think it is impossible to get one apart without goofing something up. I was trying to take one apart one time and while I succeeded in taking my finger apart I never did get the pen apart. They will only come apart if you didn't intend for them to come apart. Hope this helps.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Stewart
    I've tried to take a couple pens apart. I think it is impossible to get one apart without goofing something up. I was trying to take one apart one time and while I succeeded in taking my finger apart I never did get the pen apart. They will only come apart if you didn't intend for them to come apart. Hope this helps.

Rich
    That is what I suspected... Before everything else fails, have the directions handy. Right?!
    Last edited by Tim Brooks; 03-01-2007 at 1:25 PM.
    "Intoxicated with unbroken successes, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us." --Abraham Lincoln

You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give.—Winston Churchill

I bought a punch set from harbor freight. They have many different diameter shafts and so far have worked great for disassembelling pens. I hold the pen in my hand and use a small ball pean hammer to tap the punch. and put a towel on the bench to catch what ever I am knocking out.

Good luck
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Fitzsimonds
    I bought a punch set from harbor freight. They have many different diameter shafts and so far have worked great for disassembelling pens. I hold the pen in my hand and use a small ball pean hammer to tap the punch. and put a towel on the bench to catch what ever I am knocking out.

Good luck
    Roger
    I wanted to thank you, Roger, for your advice on the punch set. I went by and purchased the punch set just to give it a try and it worked like a champ! It is amazing how the simplest of solutions are so easy to over look.

Thanks again. Here is a picture of the final product... Dyed (Blue) Maple Burl is the pen blank color. Thanks for the input and for looking...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey nice save Tim. That is a cool looking pen. Nice job.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.