Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sapelle Bed...with dovetailed drawers complete

Beautiful job! I like the sportscar too.
    Eric in Denver

There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

"Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsman can hide his mistakes." --Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Green
    Can you tell me what you used for your finishing schedule? I just picked up 300 bdft of Sapele and haven't finished any yet.

Bed looks fantastic by the way.
    Charles,
    When you find a finish you like stick with it. Many pieces i have made in my home are finished with Daly's Ben Matte...and I used it here as well. It is a thin modified tung oil that is easy to apply.
    http://www.dalyspaint.com/catalog_conditioners.html

The wood was mostly planed with a bevel up smoother...the fabulous Marcou S20A...it made me look good here because sapelle is a bit difficult to plane....the fibers will tear easily and grain direction and some skill in flushing joints and changing direction is important. The clarity of the grain is the result of hand planing and some scraper work....using a scraper well is among the key skills in detailing hand made furniture and 30 minutes on a piece like this makes a very noticable difference. I even planned the end grain and rounded edges on this and faired them with a scraper...It is far easier to sand these surfaces. The sapelle has medulary rays that play increadibly with light and deserve careful finishing. The back of the bed was sanded with 320 and does not pop like the hand planed front..
    Here is the post on The marcou on WK Fine Tools.....the techniques here may help
    http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/m...uR/marcou1.asp
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 03-02-2007 at 7:18 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Martin
    nice clean design on the bed Mark.

As for the lumber hauler, is that a Boxster?
    Excuse me ...It is a Twin Turbo all wheel drive Carrera....."Turbo Carrera"
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 03-02-2007 at 8:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahid Naqvi
    Mark, why did you park such an ugly car next to such a nice bed

Any possibility of a close of the legs. I am about to start work on a bed which asks for very similar legs. Perhaps some details of foot board ot leg joinery as well.
    Zahid,
    The bed was picked up today and is in storage....I hope these help and feel free to ask any questions...The screw is not tight so the joint is a bit open..
    The side long rail is the one that is loose and is held withe the hardware....I added a wood M&T for strength...I used the lower hardware from Lee Valley

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 03-02-2007 at 12:56 AM.

Mark -

Nice job, the wood turned out beautiful.

How do you like that bed hardware? It's hard to tell from the pics, but is it simple two posts on top and bottom with a bolt in the middle to pull it tight? And what do you mean by adding a m&t for strength (i guess i'm unclear as to where that is)?

Also what did you use for the feet on the night stands and how are those connected to the bed rails?

I'm curious how the legs for the headboard are attached?

-chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Mann
    Mark -

Nice job, the wood turned out beautiful.

How do you like that bed hardware? It's hard to tell from the pics, but is it simple two posts on top and bottom with a bolt in the middle to pull it tight? And what do you mean by adding a m&t for strength (i guess i'm unclear as to where that is)?

Also what did you use for the feet on the night stands and how are those connected to the bed rails?

I'm curious how the legs for the headboard are attached?

-chris
    The hardware is simple and works very well! I have a wood tenon that extends from the rail into the foot section ...one side is loose to allow for KD. It is about 1/2" by 2 1/2". Same is true into the headboard. The legs are doweled in with 3, 1/2" dowels. I thought about a sliding dovetail , but the cross grain on the back is weak and could fracture. This joint also maintains the "pure" geometry

A "Turbo Carrera" and a potty chair (in the box?). What a cool Grandpa.

p.s. Great job on the bed Mark.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo
    A "Turbo Carrera" and a potty chair (in the box?). What a cool Grandpa.

p.s. Great job on the bed Mark.
    Grandpa is trying?
    My daughter ,Jessica, just had a little girl "Kate Emily"
    My son ,Ryan had a little boy about four months ago, "Ash" named after a wood? He has already been in my shop a few times.

My first 2 grand kids in 3 1/2 months of each other!

Mark,

How did you make those dovetails on the drawers? They look so fine, they can't be machine made. But, they look so precise that they can only be machine made!

Mark - as always - superlative work. Thanks for sharing it with us!
    I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture. - Frank Lloyd Wright

I have been black and blue and bloody in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts while building my own furniture. - Rennie Heuer

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien
    Mark,

How did you make those dovetails on the drawers? They look so fine, they can't be machine made. But, they look so precise that they can only be machine made!
    Phil,
    I don't think there is a jig that makes houndstooth dovetails....these are hand made and with practice are really not too difficult....There are links here for hounds tooth and mitered doves (much harder) check also the Teak sofa w/ mitered dovetails....that is a decent set also
    http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/mSinger/index.asp

The most important aspects are sawing and scribing....if those are done with skill and care you are almost there...on tiny houndstooths the pins break easily and when you saw you are splitting hairs...good lighting and a fine saw are important...here the rabbet overlay on the walnut was of no help....I could not make full strokes ....tiny strokes and I choked up on the saw holding the blade and handle at te same time
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 03-02-2007 at 9:57 AM.

What is the matter Mark? The Missus making you sleep in the Garage and you wanted to make a statement?

Nice bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher
    What is the matter Mark? The Missus making you sleep in the Garage and you wanted to make a statement?

Nice bed.
    Cliff the bed is for a client I am desiginig a home for and it is under construction....she is in her 50's and said it would get only occasional stress testing...I designed it to for a newly married couple or a single women that entertains often....so it shold withstand a CA sisemic of about 7 depending on the proximity of the epicenter and if no resonance is occuring from other sources of movement...ie... the Tacoma Narrows bridge...engineering is a big part of furniture design...if my wife reads this I will be in the garage.........again

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 03-02-2007 at 10:18 AM.

mark !

dovetails:
    on a scale of 1-10 i would give them a 25 !!! Amazing, and don't say they are fairly easy. That's like Tiger Woods saying paring Torrey Pines is fairlye easy.

car:
    I'd rather push my FORD than drive a porch (sic) !! <G>
    MARK

Beauty abounds

Mark - thanks for sharing your work... it's unbelieveable stuff. The houndstooth tails are awesome and the sapele is a really slick choice for the bed. Took me a while to actually respond to this as i was awestruck by the 991 turbo.... again the bed is nice, but next to ze porsche, eh? Woulda thought a guy with your design sensibilities would have a minty vintage porsche, perhaps a '72 911 RS (especially out there where mother nature treats em well).

Here i was thinking of dropping my coupe for a pickup... maybe i should rethink it. PS - let me know if you need an apprentice

And congrats on the grandpahood!