Thread: Moving a Vintage three toe Jointer?

Moving a Vintage three toe Jointer?

Hi I am hoping someone can give some tips on moving a three toe jointer. I have moved some machines between 1500 and 2000 lbs which covers this jointer weight but the three toe is a little bit unique. Please advise I don’t want to get hurt and I don’t want to hurt the fine vintage machine. Thanks Tony

Hi Tony: I can offer the OWWM.org web site as THE source for all knowledge about moving heavy old woodworking iron.

These guys have done it multiple times.

All the best, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

I have a Newman 60 which is a 3 toed jointer and have moved it around a couple of times. best way is a with a pallet jack or fork truck right under the center, between the legs. they are tippy and are known to tip over if you try to slide them around.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18645
    lou

I would have given anything for a forklift or pallet jack when "Frank" was delivered. He arrived on a flatbed truck. Not having a forklift at my house (the guy who loaded it onto the flatbed had one to put it up there), we took the machine apart and slid each section down heavy oak boards, forming a ramp, from the truckbed to the shop. Then we slid them around on the smooth floor to where the machine was going to reside. After doing some of the refurb, we decide to move the machine across the shop. Three of us were able to slide it over.

Thanks. The guy that is selling it says the way to go is a lift gate but that doesn't seem likely. The need is getting up on a flat bed trailor up ramps or? Would you suggest taking it apart? Thanks in advance Tony

jointer

Thanks. The guy that is selling it says the way to go is a lift gate but that doesn't seem likely. The need is getting up on a flat bed trailor up ramps or? Also Would you suggest taking it apart? Thanks in advance Tony

Tony, don't use the lift gate unless you really have to. Lift gates and heavy, esp. top-heavy, machines don't mix real well. The lift gate has a tendency to be jerky and sag when loaded to their max which this jointer is. It can be done, but it's a wild ride and can lead to problems -- DAMHIKT.

Instead, I recommend you use a low flat bed trailer and an engine hoist. You should be able to borrow both from a friend or rent them. Use nylon lifting straps under the center of the base and hoist away. You should then be able to maneuver the jointer onto the trailer. Reverse the process at the other end. This is how I brpught my Newman 60 (three-toed) jointer home.

Good luck and post pics of your new jointer!
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Everyone is making things expensive and complecated. Take the tables off. They can be moved with a couple of guys. If the legs unbolt then do so and take off the body. The rest is straight forward. If you take it appart where you are picking it up transportation is a snap.

To transport as a full unit. I used 2- rough cut hemlock 2x8 9' long in the bottom of the trailer in the shape of a V to destribute the weight in the trailer and give stability. I used 2 1/2 heavey screws to leg the jointer to the planks. The tied the beast off at each corner. He travelled 3 1/2 hours this way at 120km/hr.

With the exception of lifting the tables on and off I moved mine by myself. I did it by taking my time and using 4- 3' pieces of 1" pipe a rough cut hemlock 2x8 9' long and a 3' piece of 2x 8. The single toe goes on the long 2x8 and the short piece under the 2 at the other end (short board on the long one). Pipes under the unit. The stance of my jointer allowed me to tip the jointer up on one end and rest on its own so I could get wood and pipe under it. I have moved the whole unit around the shop 3 or 4 time by myself with the tables on this way. Go slow!

I also moved mine out of the trailer on my own using the above method- just modified slightly.

To transport as a full unit from place of pick up. I used 2- rough cut hemlock 2x8 9' long in the bottom of the trailer in the shape of a V to destribute the weight in the trailer and give stability. I used 2 1/2 heavey screws to leg the jointer to the planks. The tied the beast off at each corner. He travelled 3 1/2 hours this way at 120km/hr.

Maybe I am just crazy but it worked well and it was free Maybe I should have taken pic's.

Adam

Rob Will Guest
    I suppose it depends on just how big the three-toed jointer is and what your time is worth. I use a pallet jack indoors and a forklift to move outside.
    HF sells a decent pallet jack for $199
    Rob

Any liftgate on a box truck will handle 2500 lbs no problem, if its a 28' or larger semi trailer with a liftgate its a 4000 lb rating. No two liftgates are the same, some fold out and others just lay down.

Major problem is with the lip of the gate to the concrete, so I use a old street sign just off the lip off the gate with a moving blanket underneath the sign. When I move heavy equipment off the gate on a pallet jack or moving dolly it will just roll onto the sign then right to the ground. The blanket works as a cushion so the sign will not bend from the weight.

A small pallet jack with a 2x10 to support the third leg works fine, even the smallest of pallet jacks handle 2000 lbs. I move some heavy stuff where I work and I have a pallet jack that fits through a 30" door and it can move 2000 lbs even on carpet...

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Miller
    Any liftgate on a box truck will handle 2500 lbs no problem,
    Not so. The lift gate on my friend's box truck was pushed to the limit by my 750 lb MM FS350. Always check the actual ratings of the device...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Miller
    Any liftgate on a box truck will handle 2500 lbs no problem, if its a 28' or larger semi trailer with a liftgate its a 4000 lb rating. No two liftgates are the same, some fold out and others just lay down.
    Double check

A pallet of Bamboo flooring collapsed the lift gate on a box truck that delivered the flooring here. That wasn't 2800 pounds, it likely wasn't even half that as they divided my order on to two pallets.

Pete