Thread: Flag display case?

Flag display case?

My boss, friend, and mentor fo the last ten years passed away a week ago yesterday. I went to the funeral yesterday and was asked if I would construct a display case for the flag that was given to his wife as he was a veteran of the vietnam war. I was more than happy to accept such a task as it seemed like the best way for me to show my respect for a lost friend and to give his wife something that will last a lifetime in his memory. So short story long is does anyone have any good plans for a flag display case that would be worthy of this great task I have before me. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Travis

If he has ribbons, patches, medals, etc., Meisel has a nice one that's sort of square and divided diagonally with space for the flag on one side and the medals, etc., on the other. Made one for LOML's dad's flag when he died a few years ago.

I think Meisel has a web site, but it escapes me at the moment. DB
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

Travis,

I made this flag case a while back. It was one of three that I made. All turned out great. I found some dimensions for making one here, but would suggest using the actual flag for accurate dimensions. Please note that the orientations of the stars in the display case. I did some research before completing the project, and I found that this is the proper way to display the flag. It took folding a couple of times, but I was eventually able to get it to look okay, with one star over three stars. Good luck on your project and please post some pics.
    Keel McDonald ><>

Thanks for the replies guys. Dan I would like to see the one that you are talking about if you could find the web site that would be great. It sounds like it will be a little out of the normal display case, which is what I'm looking for. Thanks again.

Travis

I think I have posted this one on SMC before but I will post it again. It seems to be the most popular design I have made. I don't have any plans to offer you but you can get a pretty good idea from the picture if you are interested in it. It is designed to be able to set on a desk or hung on a wall. Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Take a look at this site. http://www.uni-sim.com/products/8.htm
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

The background picture on that uni-sim sight shows the correct way to display the National Ensign...so that it is a perfect triangle with 1 star on top, then 2 and three and four.

2 things I would do is measure those dimensions on the flag that you have and also cut a cheater board out of 1/4" ply or something stiff that you can put right behind that top layer. That will allow the flag to sit up against the display nice and tight. Otherwise it will lay in to the fold at the edges. When you place the Ensign in the case, you will probably have to stuff some stuffer material at the edges to ensure the look.

My .02

Tim

check the size of the flag

I've built several very simple flag cases. Was recently surprised to find two flags did not fit- they came from two seperate funeral homes, two different towns. I had always assumed there was a standard size. Do your self a favor, check the size of the folded flag- it is easy enough to adjust the plan as needed.

Here is a shadowbox I built for a guy from my unit that was retiring:

The box is 18"W X 24"H (3' X 5' nylon flag). But for a box to hold an internment flag (5' X 9.5'), you would have to make a box 24" wide.