Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Looking for "varmint" shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux

John, SHOTGUNS...... Beretta 687 EELL !!!!!!!!!

or a 686... something.

Now, when are you having your sporting clays shoot...!!!!!!????????????

Joe
    Yikes! At this rate, maybe I'd best think of getting the doghouse first! I shore do hope it warms up pretty soon 'round here!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John, if'in yer gona get all those, then ya need to git yerself one of these fer the larger 4 leged animals. http://www.specialoperations.com/Wea.../default2.html
    I know it was here a minute ago ???

Quote Originally Posted by Jude Tuliszewski
    John, if'in yer gona get all those, then ya need to git yerself one of these fer the larger 4 leged animals. http://www.specialoperations.com/Wea.../default2.html
    Yup! I could go deer hunting in three different counties and never leave my property with that one!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Yikes! At this rate, maybe I'd best think of getting the doghouse first! I shore do hope it warms up pretty soon 'round here!
    You have the technology AND WE KNOW YOU HAVE THE TOOLS!!!!!!

Start building!!!!!

I think John's getting into the swing of it, shotgun, .22, .17, anti aircraft, gatling gun or two, tank, 50 cal, maybe a couple 500 S&W pistols, ya...sounds good....I think that would be a good start...
    Clay pigeons huh?....seems I have a shotgun somewhere...

Al......who thinks its gonna be a noisey week at John's

You guys are killin' me over here!!!

Seriously, I spoke to the LOML and she still wants "out" with all the crows. I told her about the rifle NOT being an option for making the crows exit stage left. She insists that I find something used. Any recommendations/leads for what I should look for in a shotgun? (With your help, I now know what I shoulda' got for a .22 but, different ball game now! ) But remember, I don't have the time/desire/money for all kinds of other hunting! Sheeesh...Can't blow MORE of my WW funds, you know!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

John,

You can always borrow my 1960s vintage Daisy pea shooter pistol. I have about 10000 rounds sitting in the closet...

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages
    John,

You can always borrow my 1960s vintage Daisy pea shooter pistol. I have about 10000 rounds sitting in the closet...

Dan
    Egads, Dan...That thing looks as though it's never been out of the box! Way back when, I used to have a little .22 Ruger pistol. Gotta' admit; It was a lot of fun! Also used to own a nice Winchester, lever action 44 mag. Not real accurate way out there (short barrel) but, at close distance, I think it coulda' stopped a charging rhino! And, even with a heavy charge, kickback was not bad at all.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

John, great thread, and I sympathize with you for your problem. Between this thread and another I have been grubbin’ my belly so hard cuz of laughing that I really thought I was gonna crowk.

I don’t know why the crows are such a problem at your house. Here, on the other side of the river from you, our house also borders ag lands on one side and steep hills on the other. Mammals and our feathered avian friends cycle through bird-feeder territory in turn, from pre-dawn to early dark. Deer, squirrels, Crows, Blue Jays… etc down through the less aggressive birds. Seems that each group takes two turns at feeding every day.

When I was a child I loved hearing the caw-speech of the crow. In my library was a book by Ernest Thompson Seton; Wild Animals I Have Known. The story “Silverspot”, about a crow, remains for me to this day one of the most moving works of, I think, nonfiction I have ever read.

Since that youthful connection with the Crow I have learned of other, and mythological reasons for my current reverence of that noisy bird. I now also understand why some take such joy in silencing that voice.

Smart as Crows are (and smart as you are), I bet you could discourage them from doing whatever bugs Jill without killing any of them. Light gauge shotgun raising dust near where they land to feed? Etc… How about cherry bombs launched in sabots from airline pressure? Ball valve with pipe barrel, connected to air hose…

So anyhow my Friend, I know you’ve got what it takes to become the “Crow Whisper”.

…and if anyone can help me out with my darned squirrel problem… yes, the ones I blow away with the 10-22 when they start to eat into the house, please speak up!!! Somehow, the image of whispering to a squirrel is beyond my imagining.

John,
    Crows are intelligent. Maybe they can read. Print a copy of this thread and show it to the crows. Bet they will leave and never come back.
    You didn't get this information from me, you know those little green pellets that come in 4"x4"X3/4" brown and white boxes that have the big white arrow on them that says lift here? Mixed well with corn and placed in areas where domesticated critters can't access them, might do the trick. May not be legal but................
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Chaffee
    John, great thread, and I sympathize with you for your problem. Between this thread and another I have been grubbin’ my belly so hard cuz of laughing that I really thought I was gonna crowk.

I don’t know why the crows are such a problem at your house. Here, on the other side of the river from you, our house also borders ag lands on one side and steep hills on the other. Mammals and our feathered avian friends cycle through bird-feeder territory in turn, from pre-dawn to early dark. Deer, squirrels, Crows, Blue Jays… etc down through the less aggressive birds. Seems that each group takes two turns at feeding every day.

When I was a child I loved hearing the caw-speech of the crow. In my library was a book by Ernest Thompson Seton; Wild Animals I Have Known. The story “Silverspot”, about a crow, remains for me to this day one of the most moving works of, I think, nonfiction I have ever read.

Since that youthful connection with the Crow I have learned of other, and mythological reasons for my current reverence of that noisy bird. I now also understand why some take such joy in silencing that voice.

Smart as Crows are (and smart as you are), I bet you could discourage them from doing whatever bugs Jill without killing any of them. Light gauge shotgun raising dust near where they land to feed? Etc… How about cherry bombs launched in sabots from airline pressure? Ball valve with pipe barrel, connected to air hose…

So anyhow my Friend, I know you’ve got what it takes to become the “Crow Whisper”.

…and if anyone can help me out with my darned squirrel problem… yes, the ones I blow away with the 10-22 when they start to eat into the house, please speak up!!! Somehow, the image of whispering to a squirrel is beyond my imagining.
    This is Ken in Idaho.........looking down...........shaking his head.......wondering who undid the straps on Frank's jacket?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Chaffee

Frank,
    I had a squirrel problem a few years back. I purchased a live trap and baited it with black sun flower seeds. Over the past 3 years I have caught and released well over 100 squirrels (black, gray, brown and the small red squirrels) as well as an equal amount of chipmunks. I would sometimes catch 3 a day.
    I would drive approximately 3-5 miles and release them into the forest. I have a bigger trap that I use to catch raccoon. I have caught around 10 of them.
    I only start trapping when they become a problem.
    I don't know of a trap for crows. The only way I know of to get rid of them is destroy them or get rid of the reason they are hanging around.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    This is Ken in Idaho.........looking down...........shaking his head.......wondering who undid the straps on Frank's jacket?
    I undid em myself at a very young age, Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    You guys are killin' me over here!!!

Seriously, I spoke to the LOML and she still wants "out" with all the crows. I told her about the rifle NOT being an option for making the crows exit stage left. She insists that I find something used. Any recommendations/leads for what I should look for in a shotgun? (With your help, I now know what I shoulda' got for a .22 but, different ball game now! ) But remember, I don't have the time/desire/money for all kinds of other hunting! Sheeesh...Can't blow MORE of my WW funds, you know!!!
    If you haven't guessed yet, I have a few shotguns and rifles.

A Remington 1100 is a nice solid gun. I bought a used one back in the early '90's for $300. It also came with an slug barrel.

There are alot of shotguns in this price range both new and used.

If I were you I would go with a semi-auto or an over and under. My third choice would a pump action. If a pump, a Remington 870 is good choice.

Either a 20 ga or 12 ga. If I had to pick only one, I would say go 12 ga and use light target loads if you want to reduce some of the recoil.

Now if you want to spend a little more, a Beretta 390/391 in the $600ish plus range is very nice. this is also a semi-auto. Browning A5 is also a classic in the Semi-auto shooter. Again this a Mid-priced good solid shooter.

John,

If a shotgun is the only option, and you are looking to minimize cost while still being able to dispatch the occasional 'critter' you may want to consider a simple .410 single shot.

I think you can probably find one at Fleet Farm for under $100.