Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for "varmint" shooter.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking for "varmint" shooter.

Sheesh...How much more "off topic" can you get, heh? Anyhow, the LOML is getting just a bit more than annoyed with all the crows hanging around here (we're out in the country, BTW) and asked if there was a way I could "take care of them". Back in "the day", I was pretty handy with a 22 rifle but, that was like eons ago. Pretty much out of the loop for many years. So, here's my dilemma: Will a 22 be the best way to go? Smaller maybe? Don't really want to go the shotgun route, as I might as well use the thing for a little target shooting, too. Any recommendations from the masses here for a decent 22 & scope. I'm NOT looking for competition quality. Something good out to 50 or 70 yards or so. Oh, and most importantly, NOT expensive. I'm figuring I'd like to cover this with 200 to $250 outlay, max. Not opposed to used, either. I know there are a bazillion shooting forums out there but, I've kinda' come to trust what my friends here at the Creek have to offer on various subjects. Any takers??? Thanks, folks!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John, I'll take my 20,000th post at SMC to be a "friend of the birds" and mention that you should check on whether you can legally shoot the crows. They are not game birds, or invasive non-native species and I believe that native species may be protected. Can't have them as pets, either...sadly as they are very intelligent animals. Crows have been show to be tool users, too...something that only recently was recognized in primates.

Maybe you can find a way to scare them off without killing them?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    John, I'll take my 20,000th post at SMC to be a "friend of the birds" and mention that you should check on whether you can legally shoot the crows. They are not game birds, or invasive non-native species and I believe that native species may be protected. Can't have them as pets, either...sadly as they are very intelligent animals. Crows have been show to be tool users, too...something that only recently was recognized in primates.

Maybe you can find a way to scare them off without killing them?
    Jim,
    Congratulations on your 20,000th post. That is truly amazing. The help you have given the folks out here is equally amazing. Thank you very much and may you make 40,000 in the next few years.
    David B

4. I know here in NC crows are "in sesson" year around, so you might need to get a state hunting license...crows can be extremly aggravating, especially in large quantities! Check your local pawn shop/ gun store I'm sure several people have traded one in to help pay those holiday credit card bills...best of luck w/ those "varmints"

John,

I don't eat crow.

Read this.....

http://www.pestproducts.com/crows.htm

Yep, I may be a gun owning liberal redneck, but rules are rules.

You kill it you eat it. Unless it can pick a lock.

With that said... get a ruger 10-22

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Per Swenson
    John,

I don't eat crow.

Per
    You should try it ... tastes a lot like bald eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Rowe
    You should try it ... tastes a lot like bald eagle.
    I'll pretend I didn't see that!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    I'll pretend I didn't see that!
    It's bit more bland than Spotted Owl though.

Ruger 10/22. Great gun.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

You know the whole premise of you buying a rifle for shooting birds always did bother me. The only way you could do it safely if they were on the ground.

John, SHOTGUNS...... Beretta 687 EELL !!!!!!!!!

or a 686... something.

Now, when are you having your sporting clays shoot...!!!!!!????????????

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux

John, SHOTGUNS...... Beretta 687 EELL !!!!!!!!!

or a 686... something.

Now, when are you having your sporting clays shoot...!!!!!!????????????

Joe
    Yikes! At this rate, maybe I'd best think of getting the doghouse first! I shore do hope it warms up pretty soon 'round here!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Yikes! At this rate, maybe I'd best think of getting the doghouse first! I shore do hope it warms up pretty soon 'round here!
    You have the technology AND WE KNOW YOU HAVE THE TOOLS!!!!!!

Start building!!!!!

John, if'in yer gona get all those, then ya need to git yerself one of these fer the larger 4 leged animals. http://www.specialoperations.com/Wea.../default2.html
    I know it was here a minute ago ???

Quote Originally Posted by Jude Tuliszewski
    John, if'in yer gona get all those, then ya need to git yerself one of these fer the larger 4 leged animals. http://www.specialoperations.com/Wea.../default2.html
    Yup! I could go deer hunting in three different counties and never leave my property with that one!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

I think John's getting into the swing of it, shotgun, .22, .17, anti aircraft, gatling gun or two, tank, 50 cal, maybe a couple 500 S&W pistols, ya...sounds good....I think that would be a good start...
    Clay pigeons huh?....seems I have a shotgun somewhere...

Al......who thinks its gonna be a noisey week at John's