Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for "varmint" shooter.

John,

If you truly want a small varmint rifle with great ballistics characteristics, take a look at .17 caliber. It's a wicked little wildcat that is alot of fun to shoot. It far exceeds .22cal in muzzle velocities, distance/accuracy/trajectory. Not knocking the .22 though, it's fun too. .17 is just another option, and a great one at that...

Brad

John,

If you go the .22 route you may wish to use .22 bird shot ammunition.

A .22 round will travel a mile or more (if you miss of course). The bird shot ammunition is effective at shorter ranges, and offers a little forgiveness in aim.

Might be safer for your neighbors.

By the way, crows are considered 'game birds' in Wisconsin. There is a fall and winter season. The winter season ends March 20th.

However there is a clause in the rules which I have copied below.

"In addition to the general Small Game hunting regulations listed on pages 13-19,
    the following are regulations specific to Unprotected Species.
    Unprotected Species
    are described on page 3 of this pamphlet. Note: Grackles, redwinged blackbirds and cowbirds are not considered Unprotected Species and may
    not be hunted for recreation purposes. They may be killed on private lands without a hunting license or federal permit ONLY IF they are causing damage or are about to cause damage to trees, crops, livestock, or wildlife; or they are concentrated in large numbers that may constitute a health hazard or other nuisance. Crows may also be killed without a federal permit and outside the normal crow season in these situations."

Happy hunting!

Brad, I've not looked into the .17 yet. I'll check on that when I hit the gun shop! Any specific brand/model I should be looking for?

Dick, yeah, I did check on the "season" last night. Good thing to keep in mind! Also, wasn't even aware of the bird shot ammo for the 22. Always thought that stuff was primarily restricted to shotguns. (Shows you how much I know! ) If I do go 22, then I'll pick up a box of those, as well. Not a real problem with neighbors, though. The main area I'd be shooting toward is in the direction of the side of a bluff. Not occupied and plenty clear of the pasture land.

Charles, yes, very aware of the 10/22 and available mods. Everything but the kitchen sink for that there Ruger! Depending on price/availability, I still might end up with one but, mods aren't on my priority list at this point. Probably a rifle which doesn't or can't have a lot of mods is better for me. I mean, I really DO need other WW equipment and supplies, you know!

Thanks again for all the great info/input, gents!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John, you said 50 to 70 yards, with cost being a consideration I'd go with a 1-4 power scope and a cheap single shot .22, if all your gonna do is shoot crows with it, why spend any more than you have to?
    Besides, once you fire once, chances are the rest will take to wing and that's all you'll get is one shot.

I owe a bull barreled 10/22 and it shoots nice and works great, but it sounds like its spending to much money for what you want to do.

Maybe also look for used, find one that the barrel doesn't look to bad and you'll probably be able to shoot 1" at 50 yards and that's close enough for what your doing.

Good point about shooting into the air, even a .22 can go close to a mile, if not futher.
    Might try the .22 shorts, I believe the range is less with them and they are quieter to shoot, don't forget ear protection when you use any of them, a .22 can do hearing damage.

Al

John
    I would recomend finding a used Marlin/Glenfield (same gun, different names) 22 semi auto. Uses a tublar magazine and holds 17 shots.
    I picked mine up used at a gun show for around $60.00. They are a great gun, very acurate and easy to maintain. With a scope mounted I shoot a group at 50 yards the size of a quarter. This is shooting from a bench/table with sand bags at the range.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

I have a Marlin bolt action, 7 shot clip, very accurate. I can shoot shorts, LR and CP caps. I had a scope, Tasco 3x9 for a time on it, but found I like shoot with iron sights better

Like others have stated, if you go with the .22 be sure of your background, those rounds can travel a distance if the intended target is missed.

Let us know what you end up getting.

John

Out here on the "plains", a friend of mine regularly hunts crows. They are legal to shoot and there a clubs formed that compete against each other for number of kills! He always scouts the areas and then sets up an owl decoy to shoot over. These guys use shotguns and I guess it's not uncommon to kill 50+ birds. Seems like a waste to me to kill 'em but I know folks that don't appreciate me slaughtering the walleyes either!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

If you're really set on a rifle then a Ruger 10/22 would be hard to beat. You might also investigate using an air rifle (.20 or .25 caliber) for less noise and worries about bullet travel. If you google for "crow pellet" or "crow airgun" you can find some information about this. Unfortunately a good air rifle costs as much or more than a good .22.

I live in the suburbs so no shooting pests for me. I grew up on a farm so I'm more used to dealing with pests directly.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Per Swenson
    John,

I don't eat crow.

Per
    You should try it ... tastes a lot like bald eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Rowe
    You should try it ... tastes a lot like bald eagle.
    I'll pretend I didn't see that!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

The CZ is a real quality way to go, pretty cheap for the price. But it will be more than the Marlin or Savage models. And don't forget to look at the 17 rimfires. (!7HMR and 17 MachII) These are accurate well beyond what a 22 will do, and are more than enough for crows and squirrels.

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    I'll pretend I didn't see that!
    It's bit more bland than Spotted Owl though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Beck
    If you're really set on a rifle then a Ruger 10/22 would be hard to beat. You might also investigate using an air rifle (.20 or .25 caliber) for less noise and worries about bullet travel. If you google for "crow pellet" or "crow airgun" you can find some information about this. Unfortunately a good air rifle costs as much or more than a good .22.

I live in the suburbs so no shooting pests for me. I grew up on a farm so I'm more used to dealing with pests directly.

Kevin
    You're right about the air rifle aspect, Kevin. Checked on that some time ago and, a decent one will indeed cost more than most of the more econo models of a .22! I'm thinking I'm going to check at one of the local gun shops and see what they have to offer. Used is definitely an option, as well. Thanks!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Quote Originally Posted by David Epperson
    The CZ is a real quality way to go, pretty cheap for the price. But it will be more than the Marlin or Savage models. And don't forget to look at the 17 rimfires. (!7HMR and 17 MachII) These are accurate well beyond what a 22 will do, and are more than enough for crows and squirrels.
    David, how does ammo costs/quality between the two compare? I see where for the .22, there's a pretty big range and LOTS of opinions on which load shoots better. I'd be quite happy taking a lot of these variable out of the equation. I'd hate to buy a gun, which I find out "doesn't shoot well" and then have it turn out to be the "wrong ammo" for the gun! Kind of like putting a crappy blade on a good saw.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

John, a .22 is gonna be about as cheap as your gonna get.
    I'd just look for some name brand hollow point .22's, I use the Winchester brand, but each gun will/may like a different brand.
    Whatever rifle you buy, pick up 3 or 4 boxes of different ammo and build a target out of scape 2x2's and a cardboard backstop, staple a paper plate on the backstop and stick a post-it note cut down to about a square inch on the paper plate and wail away, find the brand that works the best both for cycling and accuracy and go kill crows...

If you were shooting prairie dogs at 400 yards I'd have a whole different rifle for you, but your looking for a plinking rifle and I can't see spending much money on it.
    imho

Al