Thread: Believe it or not

Believe it or not

Believe it or not, soon these parts will be a plane. I assembled the body last week, and this weekend I made the iron. This plane will be a small smoother. The bed angle will be 50 degrees, I have another version of this plane coming along behind this one that will be pitched at 55 degrees.

The 1/4" thick iron will not use a cap iron and I am in hope that the user will be able to turn the iron around and use it as a scraper. The infill is a piece that I saved off the edge of a mahogany crotch flitch that I bought from Steve Wall several years ago. These parts will of course look a lot different when I'm finished and that's the fun of posting these pics now.

Ron Brese
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Brese; 03-05-2007 at 9:04 PM.

Looks great Ron. Keep posting the work in progress.
    Ken

Workbench top

Please take note of my workbench top. That's what a workbench top is supposed to look like. Believe me that is one experienced workbench top. If it could talk, if could tell some stories.

Ron

Ron, I'm anxiously waiting to see some more pixs of the work in progress. Lars

Is the toe the short end or the long?

Pam

Hey Ron,

That seems a bit Presbytarian for a plane! Where's the filligree? the curves and points? the pomp and circumstance?!? Surely you could add a bit of "mother of toilet seat" inlay on there somewhere?

But I'm jumping ahead here...you're still at the early stages.
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Pam the short end is the front or toe. Louis how did you know I was a Presbyterian? I don't remember putting that in my personal profile. No inlay Louis, I like simple furniture and tools that simply function the way they should. No Pomp and circumstance for this plane. I hope to get some work done on the lever cap tonight. With no cap iron the lever cap may have a little different than usual configuration.
    Last edited by Ron Brese; 03-06-2007 at 3:33 PM.