Thread: Sander Sitter

Sander Sitter

I'm sure lots of you out there have one of these little devices. I got one not to long ago and actually used it this past weekend.

Is it me or does this thing not work so great? I guess my point was, I put the sitter on the benchtop and then I put my PC 5" ROS VS running on speed 3 in the sitter and it just bounced the sitter and sander across the bench! Granted the sander stayed in the cradle.

Is it necessary to mount this thing to the bench to prevent it from walking?
    Almost 10 years of WWing and something tells me I'm going to stay a Newbie the rest of my life, but still having all kinds of fun doing it.

Unfortunately I also found it useless. Good news was that it was a freebie when I bought a sander.

I was thinking of making a downdraft table, I guess I'll just screw it down to that. Hopefully it will work better that way.
    Almost 10 years of WWing and something tells me I'm going to stay a Newbie the rest of my life, but still having all kinds of fun doing it.

Blog Entries

Whew.....

Wow, am I glad I didn't let LOML talk me into one of those things. They sure look neat at the wood shows. Start a new post if you solve the wandering problem.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Jenkins
    I I guess my point was, I put the sitter on the benchtop and then I put my PC 5" ROS VS running on speed 3 in the sitter and it just bounced the sitter and sander across the bench! Granted the sander stayed in the cradle.

Is it necessary to mount this thing to the bench to prevent it from walking?
    Howdy all. New to the forum.
    My understand of the sitter is that it's so you don't have to hold the sander while it winds down after you shut it off, not to hold the running sander.

Jeff

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I consider mine pretty much a waste of money. The gummy rubber base does do a decent job of cleaning the sandpaper, which is about all I use mine for.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

And I thought I was probably the only one who found it to be pretty useless. I doubt I've used it twice in the several years I've owned it. Probably could find a way to attach it to the bench but who wants to take the time to attach it and then have to move it later when it is in the way.

For the record, it bounces across the work bench even as it is winding down, not when putting a runnig sander on it.
    If fishing is a sport I MUST be an athlete!"

I use my all the time. I turn the sander off and by the time I put it on the sitter there is just about 1/3 of the speed left.
    It is not meant for the sander to run on. It does save me some time so I dont have to let it come to a complete stop each time .

Blog Entries
    I've never tried setting my sander in it while running; always just after I turn it off. The instructions do say you can set a sander down in it while running but I would expect it to go a-wandering. I did have to follow the directions in adjusting the tension for my particular sander (trial and error). Once set it works OK (not great) for getting the sander out of your hands while it runs down. Another downside, if I have the vacuum running to my sander it sucks the rubber disc out of the housing before I can get the sander set down. Oh well.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It has holes in the bottom and access to those much like a lazy susan. When I am doing a lot of sanding I screw it down out the way. I like it. Saves me some time waiting for the sander to wind down.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

When I'm done I turn my sander off, and just put it on my bench and let it buzz around alittle untill she runs out of steam, heck my bench top needs alittle cleaning up anyway!