Thread: 2nd Christmas Gift

Smile 2nd Christmas Gift

This is my first ever bowl and second ever turning. I turned a baseball bat for my son earlier this year. The bowl blank and courage was from Steve Jenkins BBQ. The blank was courtesy of KC--Thanks!

Let me know what you think.

Regards,
    Stokes

PS. I included a couple of pictures to illustrate why the images are not the greatest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Stokes!

Nice bowl! Is that Mesquite? I wish my first bowl had looked that nice!

Scott.

Very nice 1st bowl. The wood is very pretty. What type of wood is it? bowl measurements? THanks for sharing

Nice looking mesquite bowl! (what a couple hams!!)

Thank you for the compliments!

The wood is mesquite, again thanks to KC. The bowl is roughly 4 1/2 x 2.

I was not planning to try any turning at this point, but with the free bowl blank and the need for an inexpensive gift for a white elephant Christmas gift exchange with my family, I figured I would give it a try. I turned it on a ShopSmith (bought used and came with a starter set of chisels) using a face plate and glue. The chisels used were a 3/8" gouge and 1/2" rounded scraper.

I can definitely see that bowl turning will be addictive!

Regards,
    Stokes

PS. The finish is Rockler's Polyurethane Gel Finish--recommended by Dave Smith at Steve's BBQ.

Very nice job on this turning. Beautiful.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Guilty as charged.

Guilty as charged.
    Hi Stocks,

You done good with the mesquite. It was all I could do not to grab all the mesquite KC brought to the picnic. When the dust had settled I didn't take any. So what are you going to put in the white elephant sale? That bowl is not a white elephant.

How many coats of Rockler polyurethane gel did you put on? I usually sand to 600 on the lathe. Then off the lathe I apply a coat and let it dry. Then sand with 600 and apply an other coat. I love the smooth finish you get after just two coats.

Dave Smith

Mid December means no sleep in Longview, WA.
    "Every man is as heaven made him and sometimes a great deal worse."
    Cervantes

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith
    Guilty as charged.
    Hi Stocks,

You done good with the mesquite. It was all I could do not to grab all the mesquite KC brought to the picnic. When the dust had settled I didn't take any. So what are you going to put in the white elephant sale? That bowl is not a white elephant.

How many coats of Rockler polyurethane gel did you put on? I usually sand to 600 on the lathe. Then off the lathe I apply a coat and let it dry. Then sand with 600 and apply an other coat. I love the smooth finish you get after just two coats.

Dave Smith

Mid December means no sleep in Longview, WA.
    By white elephant I mean, by numbers each person can choose a gift from the tree or a previous opener. And yes, the bowl is my contribution--much to my wife's dismay.

I followed the same application procedures as you, but only up to 400 grit--I did not have any higher on hand.

Regards,
    Stokes

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Thanks

Thanks for the post, the pictures and your participation in Sawmill Creek.

It should be noted however, the name registered does not comply with the Sawmill Creek Terms of Service. A real first and last name is required. Please e-mail me or PM me that information and I will have your registration information updated accordingly.

Thanks in advance
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.