Thread: Tarnishing Brass ?

Question Tarnishing Brass ?

I have built a barrister book shelf and storage drawer section. I am looking for some small, subdued color, hardware for the barrister doors. All I can find is bright brass with a laquer finish. I thought I would remove the protective laquer and let the brass tarnish to a dark brown. Does anyone know a way to accelerate the tarnishing process? Thanks in advance. Tommy

I have heard that oven cleaner will do the trick... although I don't have any personal experience with this. Another idea would be to rub the oils from your hands on the un-protected brass as this will definately start the process.

try fuming with strong ammonia, see if that gives you what you want.

There is a company called Rio Grande that sells supplies for jewelers. They have patina solutions for just about anything you need. You should be able to Google them.

Perry

Blog Entries
    Ditto Eric's response. Ammonia fuming is how most antique reproduction houses add patina to brass.

Tommy, I used a brass darkening solution that I got from either Rockler or Woodworking Supplies. It works on brass or copper. I used it to match some drawer pulls that were no longer in production. The longer you leave it on the darker it gets. If it gets to dark you can remove it with steel wool and re-dip it. You must remove whatever finish it has on it before you start and then relaquer it. It worked great for me. Ron H
    Call me anything you want just don't call me late for supper.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Emmons
    I have built a barrister book shelf and storage drawer section. I am looking for some small, subdued color, hardware for the barrister doors. All I can find is bright brass with a laquer finish. I thought I would remove the protective laquer and let the brass tarnish to a dark brown. Does anyone know a way to accelerate the tarnishing process? Thanks in advance. Tommy
    Mount all the hardware and put it on a Navy ship for just a couple of days out at sea! We used to have to polish brass daily to keep it bright and shiney!
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The only problem with putting it to sea would be the tarnish is green. I have polished a lot of turnbuckles on the life lines in my time in the Navy.

Roger

I am trying an experiment with the ammonia fuming method. I used acetone to remove the laquer coating and put some windex in bottle with the knob. Any idea how long I will have to let it fume before it start turning dark?

make sure the piece isn't in the liquid, only hovering above it. and I think it will take longer with such weak solution but might work.,. a 10 dollar jug of blueprint ammonia would probably work much faster if you're doing a bunch.

Blog Entries
    Or just go here and order what you need:

http://www.vandykes.com/
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Glen. I found just what I needed. Problem solved.