Thread: First post! looking for drive adapter

First post! looking for drive adapter

My First post! Got lucky and stumbled across this site a few days ago. Of course I signed up pretty quick to be a new member. I’m very impressed with this site and how few flamers I’ve seen or rebukes about totally dumb questions!
    My question is this: I’ve had a Shopsmith for 25 years that I occasionally used to turn on. Somehow I fell into the vortex of turning and find great enjoyment in this addiction! I just bought a used jet 1442 that I find to be a remarkable lathe when compared to my worn out Shopsmith. I would like to use my Shopsmith accessories (face plates, buffing wheels ect.) on the Jet. I know I can get adapter to convert the Shopsmith 5/8” drive spindle to a 1”x8 threaded drive but I need to do the reverse. I need to convert the 1”x8 threaded drive to a 5/8” smooth shaft drive. Hope this makes sense! Does anyone know if these are available? I’ve looked all over but can’t seem to find the conversion.
    Thanks for the fantastic site! I’m really enjoying it.
    Bill

I have seen several adapter on Amazon, but not sure if there is one to convert to 5/8". Maybe the easiest would be to have one machined for you. I don't really see many people wanting to covert to shopsmith stuff from other lathes.

By the way welcome to the creek and the vortex! Hope to see your turning pictures and progress.
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Shopsmith makes an adapter that allows you to put the Shopsmith drill chuck in the tailstock of a Shopsmith. It's Basically a #2 morse taper with a short 5/8" shaft on it. I think you could probably put this in the headstock of the Jet lathe and then mount Shopsmith accessories to it. Since it wouldn't be threaded on I don't think you'd want to use a face a plate on it, but I image it would work for the drill chuck, buffing wheels, and perhaps some of the sanding attachments. I've never come across an adapter that would thread onto the lathe spindle, though you could probably have a machinist make one.

--Geoff

http://bestwoodtools.com/
    click woodturning tools and accessories then spindel adapters. I do not see yours listed but they say they will custome make. Give them a call and they should be able to help.
    Mike Vickery

Ditto what Mike said. By the way welcome to Creek. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Machinist

Mike,
    Go to a machinist locally (a competent machinist) - won't cost you much and you will be glad you did- those guys are amazing. Next item I would like to get is a machinist Lathe- I'll do it all myself- kind of hard doing it on a Oliver 20C -LOL
    Have a great weekend. - my opinion - machinist.
    Regards,
    Brian

This place has adaptors

You might try this place. They do list adaptors to 1 x8
    http://www.woodenpost.com/products/c...e_on_lathe.htm
    Good luck, Hilel

Thanks to all for the answers. I'm looking into buying the 1x8 to 3/4x16 adapter from wooden post. Can't beat $16. My son has a friend who has a small metal lathe and says he can turn the 3/4x16 end down to a 5/8 smooth shaft for me. Cost 1 six pack of Bush and I get to help drink it too! Thanks again
    Bill

Bill,

Welcome to the Creek. Lot's of great folks here and looks like the crew already has you headed in the right direction.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.