Thread: Meet..........The Wizard

Meet..........The Wizard

Here is the other decorative spoon made from that piece of catalpa. The Wizard is made from exactly the same rough shape as the Santa but I have, of course, given him a completely different facial expression, mustache and paint scheme. One other difference, on the Santa the spoon part was finished with an English Oak stain and polycrylic, on the Wizard I just finished the spoon part with some natural Quick Dry Velvit oil. Also, the completion time was cut in half. It's amazing how much faster one can work when the prototype is finished (even though they are not exactly the same).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is that a self portrait?

Hi Wolf,

I really like your carvings. The Santa and Wizard are pretty neat. I do a little carving on the lathe when I get a catch using the skew. When I do this type of carving I instantly revert to Navy language so perhaps I will leave wood carving to professionals like you.

Thanks for taking the time to post your pictures.

Dave Smith

You can take the sailor out of the Navy but you can't take the Navy out of the sailor in Longview, WA.
    "Every man is as heaven made him and sometimes a great deal worse."
    Cervantes

Another good one Wolf! Did you harvest the Catalpa locally?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lasley
    Another good one Wolf! Did you harvest the Catalpa locally?

Bob
    Yes, I did, Bob. About four years ago we had a big ice storm come thru the area and I got a ton of wood, the majority of it being catalpa. I like turning it, also, but don't really enjoy sanding it - something akin to sanding yellow pine. It doesn't carve as well as basswood but you sure can't beat the price. If we get another ice storm this winter I'm gonna be looking like crazy for some walnut.

Wolf

Cool Stuff!

Wolf,
    You certainly have another winner here. Thanks for the close up shot -it really shows the detail you put into your carvings - I wish I had the patience to attempt something like that.

BTW -You're right - this one does look more like you
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Talking Carving

Wow......... A self Portrait????????

Wolf, love the wizard even more than santa. The depth of the eyes is amazing. Thanks again.

Be well,

Doc